Possible to mix and match Digital outputs

lawrenpx

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Is it possible to mix and match digital outputs - i see some cards have 2 DVI plus 1 HDMI, giving theoretically three outputs.

I need to hook up three 30" displays but most Nvidia cards only have 2 DVI, except the new GeForce GTX590.

I can only use Nvidia, my companies preferred vendor.

thanks

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Integrated video on motherboard + video card = i got 3 monitors running no problem via DVI.
There are Nvidia cards with 2 DVI +hdmi+DisplayPort out there like 450's and 550's those might work in 2 dvi+DisplayPort configuration. but i don't got one to test with :(

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
lol, im sorry i diddnt mean 3D as in 3D pop out and look cool, i ment 3d as in games 3d rendering, my wording was poor.

what i meant was for normal desktop applications i allways thought you could use 3 monitors with nvidia but to enable their surround (eyefinity) on nvidia you needed 2 cards

lawrenpx

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Being a novice in these matters, even though I am a power user due to the needs of my job, I'm not sure what all this means.

I do 2D most of the time but go into 3D mode sometimes. But I do need maximum resolution since I'm analyzing seismic images, cross-sections of the earths rock layers and high pixel count images like high quality satellite photos.

In summary, I'm still assuming that I'm stuck with not being able to use 3x30" displays, without getting another graphics card or the 590, but this is risky as Dadiggle says.

thanks everyone