How to reduce psu noise

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
hello there i have this case and psu
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/colors-it-mtx001b-black-mini-itx-case-with-300w-psu
its for my htpc with these specs
CPU:Intel pentium g620
biostar TH61 ITX motherboard
2gb kingston ddr3 1333
kingston 16gb ssd
the included psu sounds like a jet plane ever since i got it and i would stay really loud all the time, even without load and its really annoying as its the htpc and you can always hear the fan noises is there a way to manually limit the fan spin

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

but i dont have any heat issues and the fan is a average size , it's literately blowing out cold air from behind all the time and gives high airflow but its just the noise, can't i replace the fan or something?

If you know what you're doing, then why not. If you're going to open the PSU (it will most likely void the warranty), you could also install a small fan controller.

80mm fan, check if psu has a fan control cable that you can connect to motherboard.

As they say above, psu is probably a cheapo model and they are known to have bad unbalanced fans.

If the noise isn't air related but the fan motor and your willling to give this a go, disconnect from mains for 24hrs, open up psu, unscrew fan from casing, remove lable and you should see spindle, drop some machine oil on it and spin it in both directions until it disappears and repeat until it doesn't. Clean top and reconnect everything up.

Hopefully the oil will help.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

i will try this then i will think about installing a fan controller, im just wondering what is the fan controller, is it just a piece of resistor to limit the power the fan gets?

It could be a simple resistor, but I prefer a potentiometer, e.g., http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fanmate2_cable

You could also connect the fan between the 5V and 12V which supplies 7V instead of 12V. That's what I did 5 years ago for a VPN server that never works hard enough to need maximum cooling. A method to implement that simple solution can be found at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/496.

leon2006

Distinguished
Buy low noise fan. Don't do anything complicated. You can purchase low noise fan that will fit your PSU. Thats the cheapest solution you can have... or

You can purchase low noise or fan less PSU but it cost more.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
i have just took the psu apart and found out that the fan cable is soldered on to the main board of the psu, i wonder how could i get a controller/replace the fan then?

Ever used a soldering iron, a solder sucker, etc.? If not, then get a replacement low-noise micro-ATX PSU (check the size to make sure that the replacement PSU will fit).

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

yea i know how to solder but im just wondering how could i solder the fan/fan cotroller on to the mainboard?

Cut the wires from the fan controller and solder them to the PCB fan wires (you just need to cut the fan wiring in the middle and insert the fan controller). Then do the same for the other end that's connected to the fan. You can't expect connectors to be used in a cheap PSU.

megadelayed

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

right i'll get the controller maby 2moro and give this a go, if it dosent work then ill but a low noise psu, thanks for all the help guys