Sign in with
Your question

Computer will not reboot

Last response: in Motherboards
May 30, 2012 7:10:24 PM

Hello All,

Just installed a brand new solid state drive to a computer with an Intel motherboard. It has a c2q CPU and 8 GB of ddr2 memory.

The issue that I am having is with the computer not rebooting. The computer will boot if it is a "cold" boot, but if you restart the computer in Windows OR if you hit "control + alt+ delete" in the bios, the machine will not boot. The fans will spin, but no power appears to go to the USB devices.

Here are some of the steps I have taken to try and figure out the problem.

Memory: passes
Solid State: New
Unplugged all drives/expansion cards/disc drives
Swapped PSU
Swapped CMOS
Unplugged all extra fans and front panel USB devices.

None of these solutions have fixed the problem. I believe it to be a bad motherboard since the issue happens even when I have nothing besides the memory and CPU plugged into the board.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

More about : computer reboot

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 128 } Memory
May 30, 2012 8:51:31 PM

If your old hardrive was working fine, why not clone it to the ssd? I use maxblast 5.0, which works with maxtor and seagate drives. Other hardrive manufacturer's have similar software you can download for free. After cloning, my software tells me to hit any key to power off. Then I disconnect the old drive and boot up to the ssd only. Then, with windows running, I connect the old drive and windows will set it up as a secondary drive which will allow you to use both. If your old hardrive is too large to clone to the smaller ssd, then I would check for bios updates for the ssd and use the old drive to flash the ssd bios before loading windows again. Have only the ssd connected when installing windows, then add the old drive later after windows is running.
!