Sign in with
Your question

3870 X2 Blue screens and shuts down on game startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2011 12:37:50 PM

Hello all.

I have a Dell XPS 420 (old, i know) with a core 2 quad q6600, 4 GB ram, 3870 X2, 750 GB Hard drive and 425 Watt Dell chea PSU.

My problem is that whenever I start up ANY game, be it Minecraft, Starcraft, Black Ops, etc, the computer blue screens and restarts immediately as the game starts loading.
I have had this problem for a few months now. I have tried evrything I know: Reinstall windows vista 32 bit home premium, reinstalled video drivers almost daily, turn up the fan speed 100% with Riva Tuner, Underclock, and even clean out the dust from the fan of the Graphics card and and the CPU fan.
Now, as it's a dell crappy case, there is 1 "case" fan that hardly does anything and the video card runs at around 68 C at idle at idle speed. Also, do not forget that the PSU is only 425 W and has to power a dual GPU card.

I really hope that somebody can help me with my problem. It is very hard for a gamer to not be able to play games XD.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 9:49:05 PM

Use prime95 to stress your CPU and if it does give you a blue screen that might be it. Also try taking out 1 stick of ram and check with each one in if you still get a blue screen. If you could take a picture or post what it says on that blue screen that might help also.(personally i would start with a new PSU)
Related resources
April 13, 2011 9:45:22 PM

ionut19 said:
Use prime95 to stress your CPU and if it does give you a blue screen that might be it. Also try taking out 1 stick of ram and check with each one in if you still get a blue screen. If you could take a picture or post what it says on that blue screen that might help also.(personally i would start with a new PSU)

I have tried taking out the ram and seeing which one works etc, and it didn't help. I found a temporary fix by installing older drivers, but now the problem is back. Gonna try get a picture of the BSOD.
April 13, 2011 10:12:22 PM

Here is the picture of the Blue Screen Of Death after starting Minecraft.
April 14, 2011 12:56:38 PM

2nd Bump. Can anyone help?
!