Sign in with
Your question

Fresh reformat but no internet connection

Last response: in Networking
August 31, 2010 4:39:53 AM

hi, i have a windows xp x64, and an x48-ds5 mobo. i recently reformatted it. installed the drivers and all of that but it still wont connect to the internet. it just says limited connectivity. but when i connect my laptop, the internet is fine. i already checked the device manager there was no question marks there and everything was normal.

what could be the problem? please help im really confused now :( (
Anonymous
August 31, 2010 4:56:14 AM

" it just says limited connectivity. but when i connect my laptop, the internet is fine.

im really confused now"

me too !

I can't see what you're saying the problem is, if you're connecting okay.
Do you mean you can connect by ethernet cable but not by wireless ? Or do you mean one computer can't connect but another can ?

Could it be the wireless security password is missing?
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:01:03 AM

sorry for not making that clear. i have a desktop and a laptop. i reformatted my desktop, now it wont connect to the internet. i was just ruling out that my internet is the problem cuase when i connect my laptop to the internet it works.

so my problem is, my newly reformatted computer wont connect to the internet directly, and wired.

no router just a freshly reformatted computer that wont connect to the internet that do connect before did the reformat.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2010 5:05:13 AM

any help would be appreciated. thanks.
m
l
Anonymous
August 31, 2010 5:10:18 AM

So, the problem is probably connected with the reformat on the desktop and it isn't a wireless issue.

Have you run the networking wizard ?

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:16:09 AM

i have done those but my computer still wont connect to the internet. :( 
m
l
Anonymous
August 31, 2010 5:23:51 AM

You're sure the computer's network adapter is working -- I mean it's listed in Device Manager (not just that there are no yellow flags in Device Manager).

Test it -- for example, if you can by connecting to a router and see if the Networking Connection in Windows indicates the two are linked. Ditto with connecting the desktop computer to the laptop if you can find a crossover cable.
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:24:15 AM

this computer never had a virus on it before reformatting. no random restars, no errors, i just had too many files and felt that my pc needed a clean up. now it wont connect tot he internet. what could be the problem?
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:32:08 AM

when i right clicked the network adapter in device manager it said. this device is working properly. and yeah i connected it to a router and the socket that i placed it in lit up.
m
l
Anonymous
August 31, 2010 5:41:34 AM

Okay, now try addressing the router's setup screens (see router manual for IP address, user name and password). If that works, the network adapter is working.
m
l
!