PC Won't Boot When Graphics Card PSU connected! Help!

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Hello all.

I've been facing a weird problem, my PC Specs are here:

2B PW233 PSU 500W
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Biostar G31 M7 TE

Problem:
Everything was working greatly until I switched on my PC that day, and it wouldn't boot. I thought that my past PSU unit (Digital (R) 450W) was faulty, so I changed it to a newer one (2B PW233 PSU 500W), but that did no good even. When my graphics card is only plugged in the PCIe slot, the computer boots fine and everything works normally, except the display which won't show, because the GPU is disconnected. When I connect the video card with the 6 pin power connector, then push the power button, the PC won't boot at all, and the PC fans rotate a very very very little degree and then stop a.k.a instantly stop, and the green light above the power button flashes green.

\Can somebody shed some light over my situation? I bought this card at a rather high price and I hope it isn't bricked.

Solution
It is possible that the card is bricked, caused by your older PSU if everything was working fine before. Then again there is no guarantee that the new PSU can deliver its rated power.

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Oh thanks for your reply.

A short? Is there some dirty way of overcoming this? The card physically looks perfect. Please advice!

foundationer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello ammyt!

Even though you upped the power supply wattage you may still have a problem at the +12v rail with the PSU not supplying enough Amps to the card which is why you got a boot but no display.

Although Gigabyte's website only states that a 450w PSU is required to run the card the +12v still has to be taken into consideration. I recommend a PSU @ 600w with a single (or +12v-1 & +12v-2) +12v Rail rated at approximately 45A single or in total, this PSU (OCZ OCZ600MXSP ModXStream Pro.) would run your card, mobo & cpu.

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

I plugged in my old HD 3450, it doesn't require any additional power supply, just plug in the PCIe slot and the PC booted fine.

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Thanks a lot for your valuable reply.
I've managed to get a photo of my PSU's specs:
5LwYn.jpg

Any ideas?

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Thanks a lot. I just need to make sure my card isn't bricked.
BUT I used to use this PSU before, and everything was working wonderfully :( This one even seems to have lower specs than my new one! Any comments?

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Note that the problem happened at a sudden using my old 450W 18A PSU, but before that, everything was working properly. If that PSU was able to run the card, why can't my new one do?

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Also note that both of your psu's only have one 12v rail whereas the newer ones have at least two. Try getting a 80 plus psu as most that are certified as 80 plus are decent enough to use, personally I like Antec's earthwatt psu's as they are relatively cheap and made pretty well. They also have a three year warranty which is cool.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Single Rail PSU's > Multi Rail PSU's IMHO.

Also to all the people saying you need a PSU with 40A on the +12V are wrong, just get youself a Corsair CX 430 V2, XFX Core Edition 450W PSU, or a Antec Earthwatts EA450D.

I'm running my setup, which is much more power hungry than yours, with a HD 6870 and a Phenom II 555 @ 4Ghz, on the XFX Cre Edition 450W PSU, and it only draws around 333 watts from the wall.

ammyt

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Thanks.
My point is, if my old weaker PSU was able to run the card, why can't the new one do so? The problem occurred with my old PSU, so I thought the PSU was bricked, but now even the new PSU cannot boot with the card, so I guess the card's bricked. Right?