Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Which Z77 for my build?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 31, 2012 12:32:47 AM

At this point I've got most of my parts pretty well figured out I just can't figure out which motherboard to get since I see so many conflicting opinions on what to get. I do have my PSU and HDD already and they aren't anything special. it's a Rosewill RP500-2 500w and a Samsung 500gb 7200/rpm sata 2.0

I don't need a mobo with tons of features and I won't be doing any sli/crossfire it's just mostly for gaming/school/virtual machines etc.

So far these are the parts I have picked out...

CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile

GPU - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922

CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO

Optical - ASUS 24X DVD Burner

As far as the mobo is concerned I've got a few that look good but i'm not sure which to get or if I should venture outside of what i've looked at so far.

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

BIOSTAR TZ77XE4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are a few that I've been looking at and the Biostar XE3 is enticing because of the price. For somebody who doesn't need many features on the motherboard are the other boards worth paying more for in my situation?

More about : z77 build

a b V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 12:42:01 AM

Personally i would pick the Extreme 4
Score
0
a c 128 V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 12:51:18 AM

The gigabyte D3H is the obvious winner.
Score
0
Related resources
May 31, 2012 12:57:17 AM

abekl said:
The gigabyte D3H is the obvious winner.


Can you tell me why? I'm still learning about all of this stuff and from the research I've done on mobo's there seems to be so many conflicting opinions on which ones to get. I also saw one forum poster say they'd never buy a Gigabyte brand because of the "Z68 fiasco", what exactly was that poster referring to?

I should also note that I will be overclocking but it will be my first attempt at overclocking so I'm not sure if one board is easier than another to venture into overclocking for first timers.
Score
0
a c 128 V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 1:05:59 AM

Ramble said:
Can you tell me why? I'm still learning about all of this stuff and from the research I've done on mobo's there seems to be so many conflicting opinions on which ones to get. I also saw one forum poster say they'd never buy a Gigabyte brand because of the "Z68 fiasco", what exactly was that poster referring to?

I should also note that I will be overclocking but it will be my first attempt at overclocking so I'm not sure if one board is easier than another to venture into overclocking for first timers.


Asrock and Biostar are both second tier manufacturers with less than stellar reputations with regard to quality.

The z68 fiasco wasn't really anything of the sort. But, Gigabyte did put out one model of MB that failed very easily under overclocking conditions, their UD7 board. The board was quickly recalled and replaced for all who wanted it.

All boards are approximately equal when it comes to overclocking. Different brands order their menus differently and call things by different names. Gigabyte and ASUS are the standard bearers when it comes to overclocking performance.
Score
0
May 31, 2012 1:14:43 AM

abekl said:
Asrock and Biostar are both second tier manufacturers with less than stellar reputations with regard to quality.

The z68 fiasco wasn't really anything of the sort. But, Gigabyte did put out one model of MB that failed very easily under overclocking conditions, their UD7 board. The board was quickly recalled and replaced for all who wanted it.

All boards are approximately equal when it comes to overclocking. Different brands order their menus differently and call things by different names. Gigabyte and ASUS are the standard bearers when it comes to overclocking performance.


Thanks for giving me some perspective on that, this is all a little new to me so i'm still taking my baby steps with whats, what.

As far as Gigabyte boards go, Newegg has some combo deals for both the D3H and the UD3H with the 3570k they are only a few dollars apart from one another and here's the links for them

UD3H - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $369.98

D3H - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $364.98

Would it be worth it to bump up to the UD3H being that the prices are that close? Or are combo deals a bad idea altogether? I thought I read some post saying that combo deals can cause issues with returns and warranty, not sure if that's true or not.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 128 V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 1:19:14 AM

The UD3H is worht the extra few dollars. I think you get a few extra ports, which is always nice to have. Plus, the UD stands for Ultra Durable, which is a more robust board construction than the standard board.

Don't worry about the combo deal. Go for it. Newegg is very fair when doing returns/replacements. Not to worry there.
Share
May 31, 2012 1:35:56 AM

abekl said:
The UD3H is worht the extra few dollars. I think you get a few extra ports, which is always nice to have. Plus, the UD stands for Ultra Durable, which is a more robust board construction than the standard board.

Don't worry about the combo deal. Go for it. Newegg is very fair when doing returns/replacements. Not to worry there.


Thanks a bunch for the all the info, you've been really quick to reply and really helpful.
Score
0
May 31, 2012 1:46:29 PM

Best answer selected by Ramble.
Score
0
a c 329 V Motherboard
May 31, 2012 7:34:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0
!