Sign in with
Your question

New build advice

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2011 10:02:52 PM

A friend is interested in getting a decent gaming rig, and I told him I could put one together for him cheaper than buying from a retailer. I already have some of the parts in mind but would like some advice on the rest. This isn't going to happen for a couple months, but I wanted to start the research now.

Approximate purchase date About 2 months from now.

Budget range up to $1200

System usage Gaming, watching movies

Parts not required Monitor, mouse, OS

Preferred web sites Microcenter (in store pickup, Cambridge, MA), newegg, Amazon

Country of origin US of A

Parts preference none

Overclock Maybe

Crossfire Not to start, but down the road definitely

Monitor resolution 1920x1080

Additional comments Things he wants: blu-ray drive (blu-ray burner if it can fit in the budget) and a wireless keyboard. We want something with some upgrade potential (2nd vid card, SSD)

Here is what I have selected for parts"

CPU i5 2500k $180

GPU Sapphire 6950 $280

PSU Corsair XT 750 $110

Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 $150

Memory G Skill Ripjaw 8 GB 1600 $85

Case HAF 922 $100

That leaves HDD, keyboard and optical drive. Also, is a stock CPU cooler sufficient if not overclocking?

More about : build advice

June 15, 2011 10:48:43 PM

Assuming he goes for the SSD/HDD combo, when I set it up, I would put the SSD on the SATA3 and the HDD on the SATA2. Then install windows on the HDD, then go through the gigabyte EZ setup?
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2011 11:28:21 PM

yes install the ssd on sata3 hdd on sata2 and load the os on the SSD. in duel card setup the 6950 beats the 560 ti
m
l
June 15, 2011 11:37:30 PM

You better overclock. Just get a $30 Hyper 212 or something.
OS on the SSD for sure. Also probably one or two of your/his favorite games.
Keyboard: It all depends. The latest Tom's article had a lot to say.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/mechanical-switch-keyboar...
Personally, I use an Apple Keyboard for its low-profile keys and because I'm used to it, but if you've never tried a mechanical keyboard you should get on it ASAP. They're pretty great for gaming.
Also, you know you don't need both the bluray and normal drives, right?
m
l
June 15, 2011 11:55:27 PM

So what would get better performance, the SSD cache with OS on HDD or just install OS on SSD? Also, is the Z68 the only chipset capable of OC'ing Sandy Bridge?
m
l
June 16, 2011 2:36:21 AM

os on ssd! no caching! p67's can oc sandy bridge too. but that mobo crewton posted is the best deal.
m
l
!