Sign in with
Your question

Screen goes black all the time.

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2011 10:13:57 PM

So I built a new system yesterday and I finally tested it out with Bad Company 2, I maxed out every setting.

The screen goes black randomly for 2-5 seconds but sound is still there and it comes back on.

This never happened until I played a game, so I'm guessing the video cards are having problems?

My HW monitor says the temperatures were at 80C, I am running two EVGA GTX560 TI Superclocked in SLI.

Could this be hardware problem or a driver problem?

EDIT: this happens outside of the game as well.

More about : screen black time

June 15, 2011 10:33:58 PM

its a problem with bfbc2 its self. You need to go into your bfbc2 folder find settings open in text editor and where it says Bloom=True change it too Bloom=false and save.
if u cant find it mine is under c:/users/USERNAME(what ever yours is)/documents/BFBC2/
m
l
June 16, 2011 12:09:28 AM

I don't think so, it's doing it outside the game too, I just rebooted and it's doing it for frequently now.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2011 12:32:51 AM

oh i thought u said it was in bfbc2 only sorry. did you overclock your gpu's past the manufacture specs that could be causing it if u oc'd too much. Also get the latest drivers if you don't have them already.
m
l
June 16, 2011 12:53:47 AM

deoxide said:
oh i thought u said it was in bfbc2 only sorry. did you overclock your gpu's past the manufacture specs that could be causing it if u oc'd too much. Also get the latest drivers if you don't have them already.

Okay I just did a clean install on the drivers and its still doing it....

No, I did not OC past manufacturer's clock speeds.

I'm going to take out one card at a time to test them individually now.

EDIT: I took out the 2nd card and there hasn't been any black screens for 30 minutes, was playing videos and bad company 2 and no issues.

EDIT: Okay I replaced the 1st card with the 2nd card and everything runs fine. Does that mean SLI is what's wrong with it?

EDIT: Okay, so put the 2nd card in and booted without the SLI connector, then Windows told me I could configure SLI, then I turned off computer and put in the SLI connector, and booted, but now it works...
m
l
June 19, 2011 2:41:30 AM

I have had the same problem recently. Has it happend again?

I have a gtx 260 non SLI. and it happend while playing Far Cry 2, it happend while not gaming too. Not only does the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, but the resolution and color changes too. When I click to shutdown the PC, it was waiting for some programs to close, while doing that everything was normal. I restarted and the problem never came back again. This problem is the second time it happens, but cant remeber if the first time I was gaming.

Has anyone knows whats the problem? I think is my GPU overheating, but I cant monitor the temps.
m
l
June 21, 2011 6:39:45 AM

maverick knight said:
I have had the same problem recently. Has it happend again?

I have a gtx 260 non SLI. and it happend while playing Far Cry 2, it happend while not gaming too. Not only does the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, but the resolution and color changes too. When I click to shutdown the PC, it was waiting for some programs to close, while doing that everything was normal. I restarted and the problem never came back again. This problem is the second time it happens, but cant remeber if the first time I was gaming.

Has anyone knows whats the problem? I think is my GPU overheating, but I cant monitor the temps.

what cable are you using to connect to the monitor? I guess my mini HDMI is a little broken or loose, which is causing the black screen, check yours.

EDIT: Color changes could mean your card is malfuctioning. What are your temperatures.
m
l
June 22, 2011 12:46:26 AM

I cant monitor the temps for the GPU, what software do I need for that? Anyway, I just ordered the GTX 570, howver I would like to solve this issue before it arrives. I just want to be aware of different malfunction issues. Im using a DVI to HDMI cable, hooked up to a Sony Bravia 40".
m
l
June 22, 2011 4:17:43 AM

HW Monitor from CPUID or EVGA Precision
m
l
!