Six VGA outputs - need card recomendations

k8_fan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I managed to find a deal on a set of 52" DLP video wall "cubes" removed from a from a government installation. There were 12 in the set, but some had burn-in and other problems, and I've managed to produce a good solid set of 6 by swapping power supplies, data boards and "light engines". They are 4:3 aspect ratio sets with a native resolution of only 800 x 600 and they never had a display controller - each was only ever used with composite video from traffic camera monitoring.

So, I need to find a set of three video cards each with dual VGA outputs to make a display two sets high by three wide. Each card is only going to be driving 800 x 600, so the cheapest card made will have more than enough horsepower - we're not going to game on this. The wall will be used for a composite video input, HD tuner input and DVD playback.

I want to avoid buying more than one set of cards if I can. I'm thinking one AGP and two PCI in an older computer, or 3 PCIe cards in a newer one.

I need solid configuration ability, so I can get a 16:9 aspect ratio on a 2 high, 3 wide matrix of these displays. ATI's system should work OK for my purposes. Again, very low resolution on each set, a total display resolution of 2400 by 1200. and I'd like to show a 1920 x 1080 image on it with black bars, or stretch it a bit to fill.

I changed the title as I had not received one reply.

k8_fan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I hope I am not violating forum rules by bumping my post, but I changed the thread title to hopefully get more views. I'm sure this is an issue that many posters here have dealt with before and know the answer to.

k8_fan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

But don't virtually all VGA/DVI card have analog outputs on the DVI connector that will support a DVI analog adapter? That would functionally be a a dual VGA output, which is all I need.

k8_fan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I have an ASUS EAH4350 sitting here, and I last used it with two monitors with VGA analog inputs when I pulled it out and replaced it with a ATI Radeon AT5700.

3D performance, gaming, high resolution, high frame rate...none of that means anything in this application. I need three analog outputs that can drive the second lowest resolution ever available at 60 fps. A single 1080i or 480i video input will be scaled up to 2400 by 1200 and spread across a 2 x 3 matrix of 800 x 600 screens. If I'm not mistaken, the cheapest video cards currently available should be able to handle this job.

My problem is:
What combination of cheap card will play well together? 1 AGP and 2 PCI, or will I need 3 PCIe cards? I'd like solid software, like the ATI Catalyst software that will allow me to tweak each display's brightness.