Sign in with
Your question

$1000 Five Year Build Advice

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2011 11:59:14 PM

Edited in a couple changes on preferences. What was is striked, whats now is bold.

Approximate Purchase Date: June 20

Budget Range: 1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Longevity is most important (5 years), then multitasking, watching movies and some gaming (Turn-based strategy and Real-time strategy games only)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU No preference on CPU, Modular PSU

Overclocking: I've heard it shortens lives of systems, so probably not No.

SLI or Crossfire: Start out single GPU, after a few years might set up SLI to try and not fall too far behind.

Monitor Resolution: 40" 1080p

Additional Comments: This has to last 5 years. What components would be reusable in my next build after these 5 years are up? Is it a good idea to overclock a system I plan to keep for 5 years (maybe longer) or not? If I put in $75/yr on upgrades, what should be upgraded first (GPU, RAM, HDD or SDD, etc). Am I better off putting in $1325 now and not working at upgrading it?

Parts I've (pretty much, it is still a little flexible) decided on:

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750W (modular)
GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
DVD/CD Drive: Random $20 one, doesn't really matter much to me.
RAM: Not decided yet, but it'll most likely be a 4GBx2 Vengeance or Ripjaw set.

As for CPU and motherboard...I wouldn't mind seeing a few AMD builds before I choose on this.

Thank-you for responses.

More about : 1000 year build advice

June 16, 2011 2:33:32 AM

i5 2500k- oc it to 4.2ghz (easy) and get a good cooler it should run under stock temps with this cooler it is heat that kills computer parts- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VKVZ1A/ref=s9_simh...

gigiabyte z68 ud3 motherboard

corsair hx 750 psu

1 6950 2gb (another later)

8gb gskill 1600mhz memory

samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hdd

random dvd burner (can upgrade to blu ray when price comes down)

case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i really dont think there is a need for an ssd waiting .5 seconds less is not worth 200$

wait one year- get another 6950

another year- maybe get a small ssd for caching to speed up your hdd

June 16, 2011 8:59:27 AM

Here you go. Perfect for some 1080p gaming for a year and a half atleast. Drop in another HD6950 later.

http://gamingrig.blogspot.com/2011/06/1000-gaming-pc-ju...

That's geared at $1000 with an OS, so drop the OS and upgrade to a 750W or so to have enough juice to run two cards.

As for the 5 year+ compatibility of your parts and carrying them forward to a new build? Probably not. If you look at it, there is almost nothing you can carry forward from a 5 year old 'high end' dual core rig to a modern one.
Related resources
June 16, 2011 5:06:42 PM

Intel is infamous for obsoleting/abandoning their platforms. AMD much less so. Plus, AMD systems are cheaper to build. Unless you're after bragging rights I don't see anything in your priorities list a Phenom II x 4 or 6 won't do easily.
June 16, 2011 5:23:09 PM

I would not have said this five years ago, but I suspect today that a good PSU will last at least five years. The case will too. I'm not sure about the hard drives, but I'd think they'd be nearing the end of their useful lives. As powerful as CPUs are today, it is tempting to think a good one would last, but the very types of games you play could benefit from enhanced AI; that is yet to be developed, and could conceivably need all the CPU muscle it can get.
June 16, 2011 5:24:08 PM

Don't get hung up on '5 year builds'. A $1000 PC from 1998 compared with 2003 games would be unplayable, and even my 2010 build probably will need at least a GPU upgrade to play 2015 games at more than 'low' settings.
June 17, 2011 3:44:16 AM

grody said:
There is a competition in the forums right now to build a $1000 rig. Take a look at it for suggestions.

i would'nt send anyone to the 2000$ budget one though....
June 17, 2011 9:33:41 PM

Thanks for the tips/advice. I've edited in a couple changes on preferences. What was is striked, whats now is bold.

So it sounds like pretty much all I can hope to carry from this build to the next is the PSU.

@Ram1009: I prefer/preferred Intel because I know a little about their CPU's and motherboards. I edited in that there's no preference so if you think AMD is better feel free to suggest something...I know next to nothing about them.

@Jfby: I wasn't expecting it to play games in 5 years at max, or even mid quality. I realize technology changes fast and the computer of last year doesn't compare to the computer of this year.

@grody: Yep, I've been referencing that when considering components. They tend to focus more on the GPU than I'd like, but if thats what needs to be done its what needs to be done.

Parts I've (pretty much, it is still a little flexible) decided on:

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750W (modular)
GPU: MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
DVD/CD Drive: Random $20 one, doesn't really matter much to me.
RAM: Not decided yet, but it'll most likely be a 4GBx2 Vengeance or Ripjaw set.

As for CPU and motherboard...I wouldn't mind seeing a few AMD builds before I choose on this.
!