[Issue] Random - Repetitive Skips

Status
Not open for further replies.

knif3r2

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I built a custom computer a few months back, with all new parts except the graphics card. One day when playing a Skyrim my computer suddenly just skips like a 1sec pause. Then it repeatedly started skipping every 4 secs or so. The only way to stop it is to restart my computer. Nothing is currently over-clocked and all temps are very low. Checked the CPU tab on the Task Manager and showed very abrupt skips, very small but there. I was wondering if its possible my CPU is faulty or could it be something else? It effects everything, not just games or browsing and its very annoying. It starts up randomly usually when i start something that takes up a decent amount of usage.

Help would be appreciated! Specs below:

i7 2600k - 3.4 Ghz
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Windows 7 Home Premium
GTX 460 SE

If you need more info just ask.

Solution
now you should run memtest with both dimms inserted. Errors will pop up if any one of your sticks are faulty. It could also lead to a particular slot being faulty.

I've seen many instances where the ram were fine but the slots were dodgy. * while another time - the slots were fine, the dimms were fine but were in the wrong sequence.

* wrong order? which color slots do you have them?

Look in your mobo manual - chapter 2 page 5...details your dimm layout

knif3r2

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Using a:

-Power Supply: A-Power AK 850W 20+4-pin ATX PSU

-Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 750 GB @ 300 MBs (7,200 rpm)

-Disk Drive: HP DVD1270

-Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge CPU @ 3.40GHz Quad Core, 8 Threads, Socket 1155 LGA Unlocked, 8MB Intel Smart Cache (L3 Cache)

-Motherboard: ASUSTek Intel P8P67 PRO

-GTX 460 SE 1GB GDDR5

-Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 9-9-9-24 CAS Latency, Intel XMP Ready, Unbuffered

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, not to insult you, but that PSU is not very good. I surely wouldn't use it, nor would I recommend its use. You would be lucky if it output power at half its "rated" capacity.

I would strongly recommend you look at getting a much better PSU (such as a Seasonic or Corsair) since you have a pretty decent rig otherwise.

Second, how are your system (CPU and GPU) temperatures at idle and under load?

Lutfij

Titan
quick tests to follow up on :
1| remove one stick of ram and see if the skipping is there
2| if you have a small HDD lying around than try doing a one time installation of OS and see how things move fromt here
3| uninstall nvdia driver+ use drive sweeper to remove your GPU driver and reinstall with the latest drivers from nvidia, though be careful to see which version was more stable for most people. Tax your system and then see if skip ooccurs
4| get another PSU from your pals :) +try using a benching software like Fumark or and see if issue prevails
5| +1 to COL
6| go here and scroll down to the reviews section - http://www.amazon.com/Power-850W-4-pin-SATA-PCI-Express/dp/B001LK195S

knif3r2

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Ok so I tried the first step and in worked, there was no skipping for the 4 hours of gaming. But what does this mean? Does this mean one of my sticks are faulty? Or just in the wrong order on the Motherboard?

Lutfij

Titan
now you should run memtest with both dimms inserted. Errors will pop up if any one of your sticks are faulty. It could also lead to a particular slot being faulty.

I've seen many instances where the ram were fine but the slots were dodgy. * while another time - the slots were fine, the dimms were fine but were in the wrong sequence.

* wrong order? which color slots do you have them?

Look in your mobo manual - chapter 2 page 5...details your dimm layout

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.