Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is wrong pc power on but doesnt beep or load

Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2011 12:26:56 AM

Hello,
pc powers on no beep then nothing at all. additionlly the cd/dvd drive jammed with a cd in it. on opening it the cd is shattered into a thousand peices. this pc was built at TAFE 2 years ago for my son but he then moved home ahd has rarley used it. Do I need a new intel chip and dvd drive or a new mohterboard and drive?

Best solution

September 11, 2011 1:34:15 AM

votty said:
Hello,
pc powers on no beep then nothing at all. additionlly the cd/dvd drive jammed with a cd in it. on opening it the cd is shattered into a thousand peices. this pc was built at TAFE 2 years ago for my son but he then moved home ahd has rarley used it. Do I need a new intel chip and dvd drive or a new mohterboard and drive?

I would get a voltage meter and test each of the prongs inside of the large plug that goes from your PSU onto your motherboard, more times then not I have noticed that one of those has gone bad and has done everything from shorting out the board to frying a hard drive to doing what you said, initiating BIOS and then nothing. If all of those check out with the correct output I would check on the processor slot, your mother board came with a diagram that will tell you which prongs carry what voltage. If all that checks out I would point to a video card error. Let me know if you have made any progress on this.
September 11, 2011 1:53:26 AM

First of all you should disassemble the computer a part. Since it not used that much there is going to be a lot of dust.. Disconnect all the cables that are connected to the motherboad and then the ram. Use compressed air to clean it. After that just connect the power supply and ram.Power on and see if it boots. Keep it open and take a look inside to see if the cpu fan turns on?If it boot you should get some messaging it can't boot.. Like NTLDR missing. or unable to boot..etc.. Then connect the harddrive and see if the did it..
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2011 1:59:57 AM

Thanks I'll go try and let you know
m
l
September 16, 2011 3:52:47 AM

carnold5935 said:
I would get a voltage meter and test each of the prongs inside of the large plug that goes from your PSU onto your motherboard, more times then not I have noticed that one of those has gone bad and has done everything from shorting out the board to frying a hard drive to doing what you said, initiating BIOS and then nothing. If all of those check out with the correct output I would check on the processor slot, your mother board came with a diagram that will tell you which prongs carry what voltage. If all that checks out I would point to a video card error. Let me know if you have made any progress on this.

Thanks very much. problem solved, power supply was faulty there was a light on the mother board, and the fan was working but that was it. By pluggin in a old power supply I had it works fine. Have orderd a new power supply and DVD drive. Appreciated. :bounce: 
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:45:49 AM

Best answer selected by votty.
m
l
!