Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 570 Fan Blade broke off

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2011 10:17:47 PM

So I am sitting at my computer loading up Crysis 2 and a few mins later my computer just shuts down. I go to restart and an error pops up on the screen about some temp that was to hot and which caused the computer to shut itself down. I assume since its hot a fan isnt running. I pop open the case and checked all the fans. Low and behold, what do I find? One of the blades on the video card BROKE off and got lodged in the fan and stopped it from spinning. I took out the broke off blade and the fan started spinning again. I reboot and everything seems fine.

I am over the 30 day RMA from new egg. Should I try and see if they can help me out...talk to EVGA? I am kind of at a loss here. I've never seen anything like this before. The card is about 34 days old.

As far as I can tell everything is running fine, all my temps are fine and the GPU temp is a cool 35C. Is missing one blade a huge problem? Will it still push enough air? Will this cause balance issues that will hurt the card in the future? I could really use yalls help on here to give me some imput on how big of a problem this is or will become. Should I start saving now for a new video card? Can I buy/replace the video card fan by itself? Thanks for the help in advance guys.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 10:36:40 PM

bbeberle said:
So I am sitting at my computer loading up Crysis 2 and a few mins later my computer just shuts down. I go to restart and an error pops up on the screen about some temp that was to hot and which caused the computer to shut itself down. I assume since its hot a fan isnt running. I pop open the case and checked all the fans. Low and behold, what do I find? One of the blades on the video card BROKE off and got lodged in the fan and stopped it from spinning. I took out the broke off blade and the fan started spinning again. I reboot and everything seems fine.

I am over the 30 day RMA from new egg. Should I try and see if they can help me out...talk to EVGA? I am kind of at a loss here. I've never seen anything like this before. The card is about 34 days old.

As far as I can tell everything is running fine, all my temps are fine and the GPU temp is a cool 35C. Is missing one blade a huge problem? Will it still push enough air? Will this cause balance issues that will hurt the card in the future? I could really use yalls help on here to give me some imput on how big of a problem this is or will become. Should I start saving now for a new video card? Can I buy/replace the video card fan by itself? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

The imbalance will destroy the fan bearing eventually. You can ask EVGA for a replacement fan, or you can epoxy the blade back in place if you're really careful and accurate...
m
l
April 2, 2011 10:57:20 PM

I figured as much, I will try asking EVGA for a replacement fan but is that even possible? I'd rather do that than try and epoxy the blade back on. The card has a 1yr. with EVGA reguardless I saw so I am going to send them an email right now and see what I can drum up.

Any idea on how long the bearing will last under these conditions? The game I play curreently isn't all that heavy on the video card. So the fan speed is pretty low I think.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 11:30:01 PM

bbeberle said:
I figured as much, I will try asking EVGA for a replacement fan but is that even possible? I'd rather do that than try and epoxy the blade back on. The card has a 1yr. with EVGA reguardless I saw so I am going to send them an email right now and see what I can drum up.

Any idea on how long the bearing will last under these conditions? The game I play curreently isn't all that heavy on the video card. So the fan speed is pretty low I think.
I've no idea how long the bearing will last, but probably less than a year. EVGA should be happy to send you a fan because it saves them a bunch of money compared to servicing the card themselves.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 11:35:55 PM

1st I'd call NewEgg they are VERY reasonable folks. Even if it's 34 days old I'd bet you still get a replacement from them.....

If not, RMA the card back to EVGA. It's Very unlikely they will send you just a fan for you to replace. If you install it, it would most likely VOID your warranty anyhow.....

You can't run with a missing blade being that far out of balance will kill the bearing & fan in, ah, maybe a week....

Don't even try to epoxy or super glue the fan, again you VOID your warranty AND it will again be out of balance, ah, would last a bit longer thou...

Worst case, if no one will let you RMA for a new card.... buy an aftermarket cooler specifically for your card... WAY cheaper than a new card...
m
l
April 2, 2011 11:40:25 PM

Ya I got the tech support # from newegg and called them up. I was actually lucky enough to get the guy who had JUST got done answering my email sent to them. I am doing an advanced RMA 2 day ship. Gunna cost me 40 bucks to do the Advanced RMA but at least it will get here soon. I asked him how long it would last and he said not very long at all. Kind of annoyed I gotta pay the Advanced RMA but I still need this comp to run and I don't have a choice of not having a video card for 4 days. So ya, I'ma see how how it gets playing a game and if it gets to hot I'll just watch movies till I get the new GPU. I don't really want to bump up the fan speed on an already taxed bearing.

Thanks for the help Crashman!
m
l

Best solution

April 2, 2011 11:43:31 PM

jb6684 said:
1st I'd call NewEgg they are VERY reasonable folks. Even if it's 34 days old I'd bet you still get a replacement from them.....

If not, RMA the card back to EVGA. It's Very unlikely they will send you just a fan for you to replace. If you install it, it would most likely VOID your warranty anyhow.....

You can't run with a missing blade being that far out of balance will kill the bearing & fan in, ah, maybe a week....

Don't even try to epoxy or super glue the fan, again you VOID your warranty AND it will again be out of balance, ah, would last a bit longer thou...

Worst case, if no one will let you RMA for a new card.... buy an aftermarket cooler specifically for your card... WAY cheaper than a new card...

Ya stupid new egg is off for the weekend and EVGA gives me 24/hr support. I don't mind paying a small fee. It will get fixed by the middle of next week for sure. I am sure the card will hang in there till then.

I assume the higher than fan speed the harder it is on the bearing? So I'ma keep it low and slow till then
!