GTX 570 Fan Blade broke off

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
So I am sitting at my computer loading up Crysis 2 and a few mins later my computer just shuts down. I go to restart and an error pops up on the screen about some temp that was to hot and which caused the computer to shut itself down. I assume since its hot a fan isnt running. I pop open the case and checked all the fans. Low and behold, what do I find? One of the blades on the video card BROKE off and got lodged in the fan and stopped it from spinning. I took out the broke off blade and the fan started spinning again. I reboot and everything seems fine.

I am over the 30 day RMA from new egg. Should I try and see if they can help me out...talk to EVGA? I am kind of at a loss here. I've never seen anything like this before. The card is about 34 days old.

As far as I can tell everything is running fine, all my temps are fine and the GPU temp is a cool 35C. Is missing one blade a huge problem? Will it still push enough air? Will this cause balance issues that will hurt the card in the future? I could really use yalls help on here to give me some imput on how big of a problem this is or will become. Should I start saving now for a new video card? Can I buy/replace the video card fan by itself? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Solution

Ya stupid new...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

The imbalance will destroy the fan bearing eventually. You can ask EVGA for a replacement fan, or you can epoxy the blade back in place if you're really careful and accurate...

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I figured as much, I will try asking EVGA for a replacement fan but is that even possible? I'd rather do that than try and epoxy the blade back on. The card has a 1yr. with EVGA reguardless I saw so I am going to send them an email right now and see what I can drum up.

Any idea on how long the bearing will last under these conditions? The game I play curreently isn't all that heavy on the video card. So the fan speed is pretty low I think.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've no idea how long the bearing will last, but probably less than a year. EVGA should be happy to send you a fan because it saves them a bunch of money compared to servicing the card themselves.

jb6684

Distinguished
1st I'd call NewEgg they are VERY reasonable folks. Even if it's 34 days old I'd bet you still get a replacement from them.....

If not, RMA the card back to EVGA. It's Very unlikely they will send you just a fan for you to replace. If you install it, it would most likely VOID your warranty anyhow.....

You can't run with a missing blade being that far out of balance will kill the bearing & fan in, ah, maybe a week....

Don't even try to epoxy or super glue the fan, again you VOID your warranty AND it will again be out of balance, ah, would last a bit longer thou...

Worst case, if no one will let you RMA for a new card.... buy an aftermarket cooler specifically for your card... WAY cheaper than a new card...

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Ya I got the tech support # from newegg and called them up. I was actually lucky enough to get the guy who had JUST got done answering my email sent to them. I am doing an advanced RMA 2 day ship. Gunna cost me 40 bucks to do the Advanced RMA but at least it will get here soon. I asked him how long it would last and he said not very long at all. Kind of annoyed I gotta pay the Advanced RMA but I still need this comp to run and I don't have a choice of not having a video card for 4 days. So ya, I'ma see how how it gets playing a game and if it gets to hot I'll just watch movies till I get the new GPU. I don't really want to bump up the fan speed on an already taxed bearing.

Thanks for the help Crashman!

bbeberle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

Ya stupid new egg is off for the weekend and EVGA gives me 24/hr support. I don't mind paying a small fee. It will get fixed by the middle of next week for sure. I am sure the card will hang in there till then.

I assume the higher than fan speed the harder it is on the bearing? So I'ma keep it low and slow till then

Solution

TRENDING THREADS