I7 or wait for for Bulldozer CPU

As said in the other thread I'm starting my own PC build and I'm in the process of getting all the hardware parts. My problem is I don't know what CPU to get. I really like AMD and I was dead set on getting the bulldozer. Then I started talking to people on other forums and they were saying it might not be a good idea to plan a pc on on a cpu that isn't even out yet. You don't know how its going to perform or if its going to be as good as or better then the I7 2600. So I don't know what to do. The I7 is out and there have been a ton of benchmark test on the CPU so we pretty much know how its going to perform. The Bulldozer is a big question mark we really don't know yet. If I get the I7 now and the Bulldozer ends up being as good as or better then the I7 i'm going to kick myself for not waiting. If the Bulldozer is a flop then I'll be pissed that I waited for nothing.

Priox

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
The nature of being involved in PC building is that the industry is always releasing something better than the top-of-the-line part you just bought. You should go with the best you can afford at the time you want to build. If you don't wait, and use the i7, you'll still have a great processor. If you do wait, and use either Bulldozer or the i7, you'll still have a great processor. So the real question here is: Do you want to wait?

No. I 'm ordering the case and video card this week. Once I have the CPU figured out I'll order a mobo compatible to that socket type and ram that is also compataible to that mobo. I would like to have everything done by the end of September but if that doesn't happen I would like to have it done before Halloween.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

If your mobo has a pcie X16 express lane or higher than it supports almost all modern day gpus.

nicelynicely

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Ye video card will be compatible, and i would just go with what is best at the time and get the i7, i don't think bulldozer will beat the 2600k, plus after bulldozer there will be mroe iterations of cpu's that will beat the previous ones so you may as well just get whats best at the time. Besides there are loads of benchmarks and reviews for the i7, it will take a while after bulldozer is released for lots of feedback on it.

Thats what I thought. I just wanted to make sure again since the mobo comes with an SLI connection and nothing for crossfire. My only concean with the I7 is bottlenecking. If your using two videocards and playing cpu intensive games can a quad core cpu keep up with that without having any bottlenecking. I understand it has a high GhZ frequency but still thats alot of demand on the cpu.

I would wait for bulldozer regardless of which direction you go as price drop will likely accompany the release. But that assumes you are not in a hurry to put the system together.

There is only one intel cpu I would go with at this juncture. That is the 2500k. Its fast and its unlocked. I don't like the 2600K. Hyperthreading isn't worth $100.

As the price drops into the $150-$170 range, then I would go AMD almost exclusively. I am a big fan of the X6 1090 at that price point.

As for bulldozer, I expect it compete well against the 2500k and 2600K depending upon the model. That where they will be priced and AMD has always done a good job pricing their product by performance. Expect a late October to early November launch.

I actually agree with this. I mean waiting can't hurt. Unless you are still running a Pentium 4/D or a old AM2 Athlon X2. Then I could understand but waiting wont hurt as Intel will push out new CPUs in a month based on SB, as well as SB-E and the prices will lower.

Plus if BD is actually decent enough or better than SB you will have the better CPU. Either way you would get the best CPU at the best price.