Windows 7 doesn't detect my hardware (any of it!)

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Hi,

I bought Windows 7 Home 64bit OEM a few days ago to go along with a few other upgrades (more ram and a new video card). I installed everything before doing the OS install, but didn't bother optimizing/drivers etc. Anyway, after installing Windows 7 the computer booted up and whatnot, networking and internet worked etc...but Device Manager doesn't recognize any of my components.

Essentially it considers everything to be generic and I'm having a hell of a time getting the drivers installed. Should I just be downloading them from the manufacturers website and installing them? All I've been able to get installed are the mobo driver (not the audio, though).

The other drivers tend to fail during installation or, in the case of my video card, I get a black screen (though when I reset it back to the default generic VGA settings it works OK). System doesn't detect my sound card, disk drive brands, video card, DVD-RW player etc.

Here is my set-up. I'd appreciate some direction. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what.

Core2 Duo E6300 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 2MB Retail
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard
OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit (plus another 2gb from another manufacturer, but the same speeds)
Coolermaster CAC-T05 Centurion 5 Aluminum ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 1X3.5 4X3.5INT SILVER-BLACK No PS
OCZ GameXStream 700W ATX12V 24PIN SLI Ready Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM Fan Black
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Seagate Barracuda 7200 320GB SATA2 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive
1TB 7200 hard drive
Pioneer DVR-111D Black DVD-RW 16X6X16 DVD+RW 16X8X16 DL 8X IDE OEM DVD Burner
Sony Black 1.44MB 3.5IN Floppy Drive
Soudblaster sound card (can't remember which one, Xtreme somethingerather)
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB video card

thanks

arges86

Distinguished
make sure your BIOS recognizes your hardware at POST.
Try updating your BIOS from the manufacturers website (this process has gotten much easier over the years. Gigabyte has software that can run from windows to do this)
Make sure the voltages for your RAM are set right in the BIOS
Make certain that you have a power connection going to your GPU. It can't get enough juice from the mobo. Check the manual to see if it requires a 6 or 8 pin.
If all else fails... you can try repairing windows and see if its the OS thats causing the issues.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
I can't find any mention of my video card or sound card at POST or in the BIOS. RAM voltages seem fine (0.2). The plug-in I had from my last video card fit in fine with the new one.

I'll trid upgrading the bios, but I couldn't find a version that supports Windows 7 64 bit.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Just download and install drivers from manufacturers website for Your hardware. If You cannot find W7 drivers use Vista X64 drivers. This is normal procedure after install even if Your hardware is recognised You should download latest drivers from manufacturer for motherboard and video card.
For video card download try drivers from CD, Sapphire and AMD to see if You can get any of these to work, starting with the ones from AMD.
If You did upgrade install You might need to backup Your data and do a clean install. I have never been a fan of upgrade installs also they seem to work better then they used to.
Some drivers might need You to install them as administrator and/or turning antivirus off for install.
I assume You had another OS before so You can reinstall that to do bios update or do it from DOS.

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
I've been trying to get the manufacturer drivers to work (I've tried 3 different ones for my video card).

I believe I did the fresh install (only real option for the OEM version). None of the programs I had were installed after I put in Windows 7 (some folders were left behind, though).

There is no option for a x64 bios from Gigabyte.

thanks

Decado1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002

There are Win7 64 drivers I've installed, so I would assume so.

When I tried to install the newest bios it says that it didn't support 64 bit.