General help for first build

theswerdy

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I hope I put this in the right section, if not sorry and mods please move =)

Here is my story...
I am going to be entering college as a freshman this fall.
At first I was going to buy a laptop but I then noticed how stupid it would be for me to do that price wise.
I decide to build a desktop to do my intensive work on and a netbook/cheap notebook to take notes in class or to bring to the library to work on.

I am a console gamer. I know I'm probably the minority on these forums so please no hate.
I would love to go to PC gaming but all my RL friends are on consoles.
Just know how lucky you are to be getting the full BF3 experience and not the watered down version I'll get for ps3 or xbox =(

I will however be doing a lot of HD video editing with Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects.
I'm not positive but I think that when you build a computer for HD video editing you also get a good gaming PC and vice versa?

I will also most likely be majoring in Management computer systems, with a minor in IT.
So I will be doing some programming on it too, but I'm pretty sure the video editing is the more intensive task.

I have been lurking these forums others and tutorials so I know alot more than I did a week or so ago about starting my first build.

My first real question is AMD or Intel?
now before I get yelled at for not searching or looking at cpu stickies my question is this.
Specifically for hd video editing which is best?
which is best for the price?
what would you recommend me getting?

I've been looking at theAMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition for while now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913

I like the 6 cores the clock speed and the cache seems good.
Now I've read enough to know that Intel cpu's normally out perform their AMD alternatives, however I also know that AMD cpu's are superior in the price for performance aspect.

I remember reading something early on in my research that said for pure video editing Intel blows AMD out of the water.
I can't find the article that I read that in, but now that I think about it I think it was referring to the performance of the integrated graphics of each cpu. (or is that in the motherboard?).
I am for sure getting a dedicated gpu so should I not be worried about what I had read?

That has been bugging me lately and I hadn't gotten around to posting a question so I'm sorry if its a newb question I just want everything to be right before I buy.

Here is the copy paste of the *How To Ask For New Build Advice*

Approximate Purchase Date: This summer, preferably with enough time for me to meticulously put it together as it is my first build so I will be taking my time.

Budget Range: At first I wanted to keep the desktop plus netbook combo for college under a grand, but I would rather make sure I get a desktop that is usable and up-gradable for four years. So for the desktop just keep it under $1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HD Video editing, programming, Video capturing through HD pvr, surfing, Netflix, some gaming but definitely not needed to be on highest settings.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS...

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I knew about Tigerdirect and Newegg haven't been to ncix yet, but I am okay with ordering from any well known company.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: See above for AMD vs Intel question. I want usb 3.0, Sata Revision 3, would like hdmi but not required, and being able to have dual monitors would be awesome. I have two old 19 in monitors (both over 5ys old) and I would eventually upgrade to maybe two 20in screens.

Overclocking: Maybe, I've heard it's easy but I haven't researched anything about it yet. But who doesn't like free performance upgrades???

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, probably not out of the gate but would down the road as an upgrade be smart?

Monitor Resolution: not sure but like I said above I would like to get two new monitors around 20in.

Additional Comments: can't really think of anything other than I would really like to make this last at least 3-4 years, with the ability to upgrade. So maybe a ssd or two later on, a couple higher end gpu's, and aftermarket cooling to overclock. Anything I'm not thinking of?

ps: I've hear about AMD's new Bulldozer architecture? which means how the cpu is built? like sandy bridge for intel or ivy bridge? its not a new processor model like phenom or i3/i5/i7 is it?

That got a lot longer than I thought it would.
If what I'm asking makes since to you help or any advice in general is appreciated!

striker410

Distinguished
Hi! Welcome to the forums :)

Well sir, you've come to the right place. We will certainly help you compile a suitable pc.
The first thing I will say is GO INTEL! I'm an AMD fanboy, but I CAN NOT in good conscious let you get AMD with your budget. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288 Make sure to note higher is better/lower is better. As you can see, It's not even a fair matchup. The 2500k takes the 1100t to school!
Also, the 2500k can be EASILY overclocked to 4.5GHz with a good cooler. 4.5GHz!

So with that in mind, I submit to you this build:

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $225

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $145

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory $48

Graphics card: EVGA 012-P3-1571-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $325

Hard drive: Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare $60

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $50

Power supply: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $90

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler $30

DVD Burner: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner $21

The total comes to $994 before shipping and rebates.

This is really the epitome of a gaming/video editing rig. Only thing I might change is get 8GB of ram.

The reason for the GTX 570 is it's able to make use of the Mercury Playback Engine that is in CS5. This enables some advanced features that I'm sure you would welcome.

The hard drive is really a best in class product. You might want a big, burly 2TB drive in the future to store your projects on, but I think 1TB is good enough for now.

The Hyper 212+ will allow you to reach that lovely 4.5GHz.

The motherboard supports Quicksync, a feature that will cut down on encoding times by ALOT (like 40%)

This build should be able to almost max BF3. I know you don't plan to game, but Once a PC gamer, always a PC gamer ;)

And yeah! That's my build. Tell me what you think!

BTW: I SWEAR if you don't buy BF3 for the PC, I will find you and beat you with your xbox! Dude, just buy it! PC gamers are more mature anyway. Plus mouse and keyboard? No contest. I'm telling you. Once you go PC, there's no going back.

theswerdy

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Okay thanks for the input.
This is still a lot for me to take in.

First thing I noticed is that the gpu is cheaper at tigerdirect.com here.
Just so you know in case you are looking to buy this yourself or are helping others like me =)

Next I noticed that the hardrive you recommended is only 3.0Gb/s.
Was that on purpose? Allowing me to upgrade to 6.0Gb/s later?
Because the mobo you recommended has the 6.0Gb/s sata connectors.

Next question I have is about the power supply.
At newegg in the last picture the description says it has modular power cords, but in the details tab it says it is not a modular power supply?
I think for me a modular power supply would be very helpful as it is my first build and keeping everything neat inside would probably help me a lot. Not to mention the benefit that organized cord management is for the air flow especially if I overclock, or so I have heard that it is very helpful...
Do you think this psu is sufficient? I noticed it is 80+ certified which I have gathered is a certification pertaining to the energy efficiency of the psu?
I am going to be in a dorm so energy bills are the least of my worries if there is another psu you could find that is cheaper or better.

Lastly I have a question about the actual build.
I heard that AMD processors have a thermal pad that you install, correct?
And that for Intel processors you need to apply thermal paste or compound?
How confident are you that I can apply the thermal compound or paste for the i5?
The only other experience I have applying is to a xbox and ps3, both with Arctic silver 5.

btw if your wondering I successfully fixed the ps3 which had the yellow light of death.
The xbox on the other hand I did first and made quite the newb mistake...
It had the e74 error and the problem was the mobo had bent and some solder connection had broken.
I know this because I fixed it by heating it with a heat gun to melt the solder enough to reconnect itself.
I tested it by turning it on out of the case with only the power cord and av cable connected, absolutely nothing else was back on including the heat sinks or fans...
I turned it on and saw the xbox logo on my tv for about 2-3 sec
and then it turned off due to....drum-roll please.......overheating!!!
I was however to excited that I fixed it to think of the damage I was doing when I turned it on at least 4 more times to show my dad and just to see it work again.
I put everything back together and it now wont even give me the e74 error.
It just says heat sinks screws are too tight.
I took it all the way apart lossened them, and nothing.
eventually I took them all the way off and it still said they were too tight >:|
I then took to the forums of another site that was helping me with the different error codes and someone enlightened me to how stupid I was to operate it without the heatsinks...

So as you can see I really don't want to buy a $200 processor only to break it.
How hard is it to put together for both Intel and AMD?

striker410

Distinguished
Actually the newegg one is cheaper by $5. The Tigerdirect price is after rebate, which is a little sly in my opinion. After rebate, the newegg one is cheaper, especially since Tigerdirect charges shipping.

A Hard drive cannot even fully utilize the 3.0GB/s line. Don't worry about it, most HDD manufacturers try to scam consumers into spending more by saying they are "6.0GB/s" when in reality, it doesn't matter! The only time it matters is with an SSD.

Ahh, very observant on the power supply. It is infact, a SEMI modular power supply. Some of the cables are removable (ie spare Video cables, Sata cables, molex cables) but the ones you need are not (Mobo power, CPU power, etc etc)
And I would honestly not buy a PSU that isn't 80+ An 80+ power supply is more a sign of quality than anything. And that is the best PSU you can get for the money right now.

And if you have any extra cash, I suggest doling a little out for a sexier case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196&cm_re=storm_sout-_-11-119-196-_-Product It's got a window :)

You are talking about stock heatsinks. Yes the AMD's have pre applied thermal grease, same with Intel.
However, you are going to use a different heatsink (See Hyper 212+). The heatsink is much more powerful than the stock one, allowing you to overclock MUCH MUCH higher. I am totally confident! It's easy. Put a pea sized dot on the CPU, and press the heatsink down. Here's a guide detailing installation of heatsink and all the other components: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

Hate to say it, but total failwhale on that Xbox. ALWAYS do your research bro!

And it's pretty easy. I suggest you skim this very good, detailed video when you have some spare time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relmfu

And yeah! That's about it! Any more questions?