Sign in with
Your question

Whats the best time to get a CPU

Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2011 4:14:35 AM

Hello, I am slowly building a computer, so far I only have a Haf X and a corsair power supply but its getting there. For the cpu I am aether going to get the 2600k or bulldozer but wondering about the luck of the draw in terms of cpu's. Lets say the 2600k's were the first batch of those the best or the newest batch of them the best. Is the first batch of bulldozer's good to buy or should wate tell the second. How often to the manufactures create the batches. Is there any store that generally gets better cpu's or is it all random I mean I know intell and Amd have to check there cpu's before sending them out to test weather they are to be put out for sale. Any one know this or is it all a game of chance a random turn of the wheel one way or the other.

More about : whats time cpu

a c 471 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
September 11, 2011 4:46:07 AM

The i7-2600K would be a good choice if you are using programs that can take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT). Games do not make use of HT so if that is the primary purpose of your rig, then paying ~$100 less for the i5-2500K would be the better choice. Needless to say, the best time to buy a Bulldozer core CPU (Zambezi) is when it is released.

There are no distributors that gets "choice" CPUs from AMD or Intel; however there generally may be a pecking order as to who receives shipments first. Of course if there are issues with the first version of Zambezi, it may take months before they are detected and corrected.

For example, the Pentium 4 was first released back in March 1993. It was not until October 2004 that it was discovered that the Floating Point Unit (FPU) had a bug when doing some rather complex and esoteric mathematical calculations. At that point Intel decided to issue a recall for those defective Pentium 4 CPUs even though it was estimated that only 1 out 9 billion complex calculation would result in erroneous results. It wasn't a big deal for the average consumer/gamer. However, for anything that required some serious complex mathematics like business financial models, scientific calculations, etc., it could potentially pose a serious issue.
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:02:56 PM

jaguarskx said:
The i7-2600K would be a good choice if you are using programs that can take advantage of Hyper Threading (HT). Games do not make use of HT so if that is the primary purpose of your rig, then paying ~$100 less for the i5-2500K would be the better choice. Needless to say, the best time to buy a Bulldozer core CPU (Zambezi) is when it is released.

There are no distributors that gets "choice" CPUs from AMD or Intel; however there generally may be a pecking order as to who receives shipments first. Of course if there are issues with the first version of Zambezi, it may take months before they are detected and corrected.

For example, the Pentium 4 was first released back in March 1993. It was not until October 2004 that it was discovered that the Floating Point Unit (FPU) had a bug when doing some rather complex and esoteric mathematical calculations. At that point Intel decided to issue a recall for those defective Pentium 4 CPUs even though it was estimated that only 1 out 9 billion complex calculation would result in erroneous results. It wasn't a big deal for the average consumer/gamer. However, for anything that required some serious complex mathematics like business financial models, scientific calculations, etc., it could potentially pose a serious issue.

I am probably going to ether get the 2600k or the 8 core bulldozer if they ever come out.. This is because besides gaming I plan to do graphic arts, I have the photo-shop masters collection(got it cheap from my school) but current comp can't do anything with it so I am building one for that and perhaps some 3d gaming and perhaps other flights of fancy .
Now onto CPU's basically there is no magic way to get a better cpu for over clocking or anything its just the luck of the draw. Like for example the older I-950's (a cpu I was thinking about getting before sandy bridge was there) getting one now would perhaps give the same % of getting a good overclock-er then getting one at the start is what your saying right there is no magic bullet theory.
m
l
!