Solved

Gtx 460 768mb in sli

A while back i got an asus engtx 460 768mb because I was building a budget gaming system and it has been working great but now i have some more money and am going to get a surround set up and am wondering if the adding another gtx 460 768mb would even work well in surround considering it only has 768mb of ram. Would i be better off going with an Ati card with eyefinity and 1 or 2 gb of ram?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Also if I get another gtx 460 i will need to upgrade my power supply and could use some suggestions.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 768mb
  1. Also if it helps the three monitors i am going to use are 1600x900 resolution. I that will help you answer my question.
  2. Any thing but Palit or Galaxy, personally just go for another Asus and don't look back. 1600x900 isn't all that much but I will my self be gaming on that next semester. Another 768mb Asus gtx 460 as you don't want to waste your money on a 1gb or 2gb when only 768mb will be made use of if in sli with your existing card.

GTX 460 1gb + 8800gt for physx

SLI however has a lot of overhead just like crossfire.
  3. Quote:
    Any thing but Palit or Galaxy, personally just go for another Asus and don't look back. 1600x900 isn't all that much but I will my self be gaming on that next semester.

multiply that by 3. he's going surround.
  4. Best answer
    You may as well just get another 460 and go SLI. You will be able to use 3 monitors, but it's going to be pretty taxing on your system. The games you can run on three monitors will probably require you to lower the detail to get a playable FPS, well some more than others of course. Of course for more demanding games you can always just put it back to playing on one monitor ^_^
  5. the fact that you having a 768mb gtx460 already limits your multi display capabilities even with SLi.

you'd better off with selling what you have (your lcd panel, your gtx460) then buy a 32 inch hd lcdtv and a 6950 1gb.

unless you want to do a surround setup just for the sake of doing it.
  6. oops
  7. I did the math and found that three 1600*900 displays only has %5 more pixels than a 2560x1600 monitor which sli gtx 460 can still run pretty well. Is this a good way to tell if the cards will perform well?
  8. 768mb of vram isnt enough, you would probably get very bad performance.
  9. I just want to know if my logic is sound in saying that if a 2560x900 monitor has almost the same amount of pixels as the three screens will a graphics card perform about the same?
  10. Yes, pretty much; set aside the glitches for Surround/Eyefinity that MAY occur.
    Not likely.
  11. Best answer selected by g8orboy11.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Graphics