Memtest86 failure, now what?

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i have been getting some bizarre crashes of late on my 2 month old computer i built. i was not getting bsod's and i immediately suspected hardware. ran memtest on my g.skill ripjaws ddr3 1600 8gb and got 35,000 errors in under 3 minutes of running the test. i tested just 1 stick in both DIMMs with no errors. stuck the other stick in one slot and got the same 35,000 errors in under 3 minutes. is it safe to say that absolutely, 100% without a doubt, the memory is the problem here?

i did OC my CPU 2500k to 4.0ghz @ 1.22, but i first set the memory to spec at 1.5v 9-9-9-24, although the faulty RAM stick said 6-6-6-20 in memtest. i don't know how that could have happened, but i made sure to go back in the bios and reset it to 1.5v and 9-9-9-24 before i RMA it, just in case they want to give me grief over the 6-6-6-24 setting (that i didn't do). is there any way my OC on the CPU could have FUBAR'd the RAM, or does this sound specifically like a RAM problem? RAM was never OC'd.

btw, i run blend on P95 with ease for hours. also, is there any damage if i run the 1 4gb stick that is still good for a few days? i absolutely need my PC through next week, and i do not think g.skill will send a replacement quick enough for me to risk sending off both of my sticks just yet.