Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 2600K @ 85C stock ?

Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2011 5:48:18 AM

i just installed my new Motherboard and noticed that at stock setting my temps where at 35C-40C and when i did ran intelBurntest my CPU Temps jump at 85C and more in about 1.5 minutes, prime 95 make it jump to 90-~ in about 2 minutes, i checked the heatsink and its securely placed.

Is that normal temps ?

More about : 2600k 85c stock

September 11, 2011 5:52:53 AM

system ...
m
l
a c 471 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 6:12:55 AM

It's a bit high in my opinion.

Did you install the heatsink properly?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 11:40:17 AM

Assuming you're not overclocking, you most definitely have a bad fan installation issue. The push pin setup can be a pain to get right sometimes. The only real way of telling is take the mobo out and verify all the plastic fasteners are completely secure to the back of the motherboard. I'm betting one or more is not.
m
l
September 11, 2011 11:49:39 AM

Possible problems:

-Bad chip {rma and get a new one}
-Thermal faste is fudged up {put a thin coating on new grease on after cleaning}
-Cpu cooler no mounter properly {reseat it}
-Fan not spinning {check if its plugged in and fiddle the wires}
-Bad temp sensor {same as 1 }

it could also be that pre program is not seeing it correclty , get 3 programs and see if they see the same

m
l
September 11, 2011 2:42:37 PM

i Checked everething and find out 3 temps monitoring programs give me 3 different reading. also Vcore was at 2.05V @ 3.8GHz... feels strange to me, i did update the bios and temps drooped @ 30-35 (1.25 Vcore)

i already RMA two others P8 boards before getting this one, i gonna get an aftermarket cooler and see what i get before having to wait another month for a new board,...
m
l
September 11, 2011 4:11:22 PM

Your temp is high... What case do you have and what is your ambient temp? Are you sure you get sufficient are circulation in your case
m
l
September 11, 2011 5:03:52 PM

got 6 x 120 mm (3 in 3 out ) fans, 2 running 100% and 4 controlled by Motherboard ( turbo ). ambient temp is about 20-25C and MOBO @ ~30

got stock heat-sink tough
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 7:15:56 PM

I remember you. You had this P8P67 Pro issue, didn't you?

1) Stock cooler = fail.
2) UPDATE the BIOS to the latest non-beta version from Asus website.

Before I did that, my temps would easily hit 80-90C in Dragon Age Origins, which pissed me off. Hyper 212+ and BIOS update brought the max temps down to 55-60C. Idle is 30C, was 40C before update.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 11, 2011 8:11:46 PM

MILLOO said:
i Checked everething and find out 3 temps monitoring programs give me 3 different reading. also Vcore was at 2.05V @ 3.8GHz... feels strange to me, i did update the bios and temps drooped @ 30-35 (1.25 Vcore)

i already RMA two others P8 boards before getting this one, i gonna get an aftermarket cooler and see what i get before having to wait another month for a new board,...

Did anyone else notice this? 2.05V for a CPU? At 32nm?

Thats the issue. No current CPU will run at 2V on the VCore unless it is in LN2 cooling.

So yea, for overclocking get a decent after market cooler first and watch your VCore. Overvolting the CPU like that can kill it very fast.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 8:32:15 PM

jimmysmitty said:

Thats the issue. No current CPU will run at 2V on the VCore unless it is in LN2 cooling.

So yea, for overclocking get a decent after market cooler first and watch your VCore. Overvolting the CPU like that can kill it very fast.

Didn't notice, not an overclocker, myself, but would be alerted... I don't think it's OCing - OP mentioned 3.8 GHz - I think the Asus board somehow set some weird voltages automatically.
m
l
September 12, 2011 12:22:00 AM

jimmysmitty said:

exactly what i tough, so i drooped it back to 1.25 and the temps drooped to 35-30... it sounds to me i could lower that voltage even more, but since it overheat every time i run a bench mark for more than 1 minute i wouldn't know if its stable

i dont know how that voltage was so high but every-times i set the bios to default it get that value back
m
l
September 12, 2011 12:31:20 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Didn't notice, not an overclocker, myself, but would be alerted... I don't think it's OCing - OP mentioned 3.8 GHz - I think the Asus board somehow set some weird voltages automatically.

i told you couldn't wait to see what strange thing it does =) at least its posting now
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 12:51:03 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:

Even overclocked, you don't need that much. In fact a 2600K is known to hit about 4.5GHz without any need for more voltage.

MILLOO said:
exactly what i tough, so i drooped it back to 1.25 and the temps drooped to 35-30... it sounds to me i could lower that voltage even more, but since it overheat every time i run a bench mark for more than 1 minute i wouldn't know if its stable

i dont know how that voltage was so high but every-times i set the bios to default it get that value back

It sounds like a BIOS issue. Go to Asus website and download the latest version, put it on a thumb drive and flash the BIOS. If that doesn't fix it, then I would RMA the mobo because I have assembled plenty of P67, Z68, H67, H61 etc systems at my work and none of them ever set the VCore that high.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 3:55:37 AM

jimmysmitty said:
It sounds like a BIOS issue. Go to Asus website and download the latest version, put it on a thumb drive and flash the BIOS. If that doesn't fix it, then I would RMA the mobo because I have assembled plenty of P67, Z68, H67, H61 etc systems at my work and none of them ever set the VCore that high.

First, the OP stated that he BIOS was updated. Second, you don't need to use a thumb drive to flash the BIOS - Asus AI Suite II can do it from Windows.
m
l
September 12, 2011 4:14:18 AM

You can manually set your voltage...
m
l
October 25, 2011 2:05:47 AM

Best answer selected by MILLOO.
m
l
October 25, 2011 2:12:08 AM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
I remember you. You had this P8P67 Pro issue, didn't you?

1) Stock cooler = fail.
2) UPDATE the BIOS to the latest non-beta version from Asus website.

Before I did that, my temps would easily hit 80-90C in Dragon Age Origins, which pissed me off. Hyper 212+ and BIOS update brought the max temps down to 55-60C. Idle is 30C, was 40C before update.

changed my cooler to Hydro 100, my temps now at stock are at 22c ( ambient 20C),

1.45 V. @ 5.15 GHz on load my temps not exceeding 80c

also the Ai suite T° reading probably the cpu case... i recommend real temps to monitor core temps

stock cooler = fail
m
l
!