Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and page_fault_in_nonpaged_area help

ben1215

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Sold a customer a PC,

Windows 7, tested before shipping and it worked perfectly.

He received it yesterday and claims that it BSOD every time it reaches the windows startup and shows one of the two errors

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

My thinking is that the RAM was damaged in transit? Any other ideas. Worked fine when I had it.

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Memory failure or bad video driver (bad video driver stomping on memory it shouldn't).

ben1215

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks Guys, Ill see what he says later. I bet it was damaged in the delivery.

So angry becuase it was a great build

The IRQ error doesnt support that idea , unless the page fault is in virtual memory which is why I suspect hard drive .

But all these mentioned options are worth checking

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I had this problem for 5-6 months, was getting some other errors, but this was most common, I ran MEMTEST and got like 20K errors, couldn't boot every time, would crash often, after starting PC like 20X it would finally run, but not always for more than 4-5 hours, sometimes a week.

I had tried 2 different sets of memory, different video cards, different hard drive, reinstalled windows.

After all that, it ended up being my motherboard, sent it in for RMA, they replaced it and I put it in my PC, voila! success! I don't know what you're running, but i have a asus 785td-m Evo

ben1215

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Ok so apparently its not the RAM, a reinstall doesn't work, its surely not the motherboard as it boots into BIOS fine. I'm so confused it was working fine when I had it

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The Stop 0xD1 message indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Interpreting the Message
This Stop message has four parameters:

Memory referenced.
IRQL at time of reference.
Type of access (0x00000000 = read operation, 0x00000001 = write operation).
Address that referenced memory.
Resolving the Problem
For additional troubleshooting suggestions that apply to all Stop errors, see "Stop Message Checklist" later in this appendix.

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
For more information about Stop 0xD1 messages, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base link on the Web Resources page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources. Search using keywords winnt, 0x000000D1, and 0xD1.

I wanna say that gives a different error but you could be right. That is something I would also check.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

my MB booted to BIOS quite often, would typically crash after BIOS,, wasn't till it got really bad before it had hard time with BIOS as well. if you change the memory and the problem still there and reinstall windows to reset all drivers and problem still there, and update all drivers and problem still there,,,, I would say it is the motherboard, mine was only a few months old when problems started and took a loooong time for me to figure out as everyone and their dog said it HAD to be memory - I tried different timings, slots, sticks, stick sizes, 1 to 4 sticks, nothing worked 000 it was the MB.

just let us know when you find out what it was :)