Is GIGABYTE GV-N440TC-1GI NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 any good?

Hahaha10000

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
hey guys I want to get a new graphics card,

I am just wondering if you guys thought that the GIGABYTE GV-N440TC-1GI NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 was any good or a better one for the money?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: sometime in the next week. Budget is £70-£120 British pounds. ( that's US $112-$193)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: will be used for gaming crysis 2, and watching movies

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: new build so can buy any power supply needed.
:pt1cable:
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Desktop Board DP67DE, Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor 3.30GHz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Preferably Amazon.co.uk but wherever its cheapest :lol:

PARTS PREFERENCES: prefer nvidia but not too bothered.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: don't know yet monitor not decided on.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: needs to be able to run games well but Im not looking for amazing quality.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Hate to break this to you but the GT440 is more or less obsolete for modern games - you probably won't be able to run Crysis 2 smoothly at even modest settings.

Will be fine for movies though - hell any gfx that can't playback movies has some serious issues.

Im not looking for state of the art pro gaming.
You mentioned Crysis 2, which while being a dumbed down version of Crysis, is still state of the art gaming (well more or less lol).

By "Im not looking for state of the art pro gaming" I think you mean you do not need maximum eyecandy along with a seamless gaming experience, aka you will be happy with 30 fps (reasonably smooth) medium settings gaming at 1680x1050 (guestimate on your resolution), am I right? You'll need to figure out what resolution you want for us to suggest a graphics card for you. For $160 you can get a much, much faster graphics card tbh - the GTX460 is a mainstream card and costs only $190 - a little bit over your budget, and is quite a lot faster than the GT 440. Example: on Metro 2033, the GT440 scores 15.6 frames per second on 1024x768 resolution (very very low), while the GTX460 scores a hefty 56.4 - get the idea?

One piece of advice: choose your resolution and look at benchmarks of games you would like to play to see what graphics card you need for acceptable gameplay - there is just not enough information provided to answer.

PS: I write way too much :(

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
See for yourself: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-2-performance-best-graphics-card-multiplayer,2901-4.html

It should give good to very good performance with Crysis 2 at 1680x1050, and you will not be disappointed if you want to play other games (virtually a certainty, believe me).

However if you really want the best bang for the buck, I recommend the GTX 560 Ti which is a little more expensive than the GTX 460 but is the next generation, hence quite a bit faster. It's up to you and your budget - but the GTX460 is fine right now and will last you at least a year or two before it becomes really obsolete.

Hahaha10000

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

hahaha well the budget went out the window ages ago, I think I will go for the GTX 560 Ti then, any recommendations on manufacturer? need HDMI and VGA, any suggestions?

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I recommend EVGA, they tend to be more expensive but have passed a higher quality of standard. But honestly as long as the manufacturer isn't a piece of crap the card should work, just check reviews online and you'll steer clear of issues. As for HDMI, I don't think you need it at your resolution - and the GTX probably comes with a mini-HDMI anyway (should). VGA should be included anyway by default in the GTX.

Hahaha10000

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Great thanks for all your help :bounce: