Sign in with
Your question

How do I install another motherboard without re installing Windows 7?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2012 4:35:37 AM

I have heard it is possible to replace a motherboard, without having to reinstall windows. How do I go about doing this?
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 5:26:17 AM

you need to buy windows 7, just re enter your key code
m
l
June 1, 2012 6:09:35 AM

hard to do that when I can't boot windows in the first place ;) 

For now I just put the old motherboard back in, and still works fine (thank goodness)

But I still want to know how I can do this
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 6:24:48 AM

I don't think if it is possible =/
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 6:30:01 AM

Not possible, I'm afraid (unless it's the exact same model of motherboard. Many different things that could/would change with a different model and make Windows not boot). Even with the exact same model, the serial number would be different, so it would fail validation.
m
l
June 1, 2012 6:58:20 AM

A method I saw on the internet somewhere was to use sysprep to return the computer to "out of the box" state (but it still keeps all the files, and I think settings.

Will try that possibly, not sure I want to yet or not.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2012 11:43:14 AM

Is certainly possible, like any 'new' install you'll need to install ALL of the new drivers i.e. Chipset, SATA, NIC, etc then (re)activate Windows which 'might' require a call to Microsoft -- if everything else is unchanged then you might get away with online (re)activativation Windows. This depends on your version of Windows and the pre-installation driver requirements (if any).

Note: IF the OLD MOBO was OEM e.g. (HP, Dell, GW, etc) then you don't have a FULL version of Windows and/or the complete driver library installed. So you typically cannot in that situation 'pop-in' a NEW MOBO.

It 'is' best to backup ALL documents and a clean install of Windows.
m
l
!