HP Campaq Presario SR1799AN onboard drivers

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
We have a HP Campaq Presario SR1799AN at work which was beeping continuously when turned on, I had a look and noticed the Graphics card fan had seized, I figured that was the cause so I ripped it out. On closer inspection I noticed the motherboard had an onboard vga output but it was covered by a piece of plastic screwed to it with a 'do not remove' on it(Not sure if sneaky or there to prevent people connecting to onboard when discrete is present). Either way once I removed it and plugged in the monitor the computer started working again. However now I need to source some drivers for the thing as it's outputting at low res and doesn't have the right resolution options for the widescreen ratio monitor.

I've been to the hp website where I found an onboard ATI driver for windows xp, when I went to install it gave me an error and told me I must install through the device manager, I tried using device manager to browse the folder for the driver but it did not recognize the driver and failed to install. Anyone know how I can get a driver working on this thing? I suppose if it's a real problem I can just pick up a new card at the local PC shop, sad moment when your excited one of the computers in your office is new enough to have a PCIe slot.

I would go to ATI's website and download the general driver for your device. These are large files so it may take a few minutes. Then go to the control panel under the programs file or systems files and find the old vga driver; uninstall it, reboot, and install the newer ati driver. If hp doesn't recognize the driver, I would go to the device manager and use the "update driver software" option when the vga driver is highlighted. Be sure you're online when you try this.