Sign in with
Your question

Budget gaming PC? How does it look and will it work?

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2011 3:56:11 PM

My friend asked me to build him a budget gaming Rig (sub $1000) so I found a bunch of parts on TigerDirect.com and am fairly pleased with the results.

I've checked all the compatibility myself, but I'd like to get the opinion of some more experienced builders.

CPU - AMD Phenom II X3 700e

CPU Heatsink - Cooler Master DK9 Socket AM2/AM3 CPU Cooler

GPU - Zotac GeForce GTS 450 AMP Edition

RAM - Crucial 4GB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Desktop Memory (2 sticks)

Motherboard - Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 Motherboard

PSU - Ultra X4 600 Watt Modular Power Supply

HDD - Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm

Wan - Zonet 802.11N Wireless PCI Adapter

Disc Drive - Sony Optiarc DVDRW Drive

Case - Cooler Master RC-430 mid Tower ATX Case

Monitor - 19" Widescreen LED HD Monitor

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I'm pretty sure all of this stuff will work together from checking numerous sites and things like that but I'd like to be sure. Is this a good setup for someone who wants to do middle of the road gaming like RIFT and things like that?

When I tally up the price before rebates, on TigerDirect.com it was around $780 and around $730 after rebates. Shipping was also around $20.

My main concern is everything being compatible and everything fitting in the case. I've never put together a computer from scratch before, but I've taken apart old computers and disassembled/reassembled some Xbox 360's and things like that. Would it be too difficult? I'm a pretty technical person and I know pretty much where everything goes except for some of the wiring to like the power switch and SATA cables.

Thanks for any comments/advice!

More about : budget gaming work

June 16, 2011 10:30:37 PM
June 16, 2011 11:15:05 PM

Thanks!

Someone else on these forums recommended the same RAM and CPU so I'm probably going to alter my build to use those with a Corsair 750 W PSU and a higher end motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2011 12:28:33 AM

You're better off waiting for the bulldozer to come out instead of buying old AMD stuff or go Sandybridge. U can make a really super nice rig with $1K budget.
Also u can use: https://www.shoprunner.com/home.php 30 day free trial and it's awesome to get 2 day free shipping. Trust me I abused that freebie last month to build my son's new computer :) 
m
l
June 17, 2011 12:39:42 AM

Cerealkiller45_86 said:
You're better off waiting for the bulldozer to come out instead of buying old AMD stuff or go Sandybridge. U can make a really super nice rig with $1K budget.
Also u can use: https://www.shoprunner.com/home.php 30 day free trial and it's awesome to get 2 day free shipping. Trust me I abused that freebie last month to build my son's new computer :) 

the price of the phenom ii 955 is very low right now, and bulldozer is coming in like 2 months, he could save up in that time and buy bulldozer when they come out
m
l
June 17, 2011 12:45:01 AM

If he builds now with your idea, then decide two months to try Bulldozer; would be a waste of money..specially if his current mobo can't use Bulldozer.
m
l
June 17, 2011 12:47:22 AM

Cerealkiller45_86 said:
If he builds now with your idea, then decide two months to try Bulldozer; would be a waste of money..specially if his current mobo can't use Bulldozer.

look the second one i recommended, its a 990fx... haha
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:18:12 AM

I don't think my friend is going to need bulldozer.. isn't that the new 8 core AMD cpu? He doesn't game that intensively that he would need that. I figure I'll use an AMD3 motherboard that way he can get a Phenom X6 later if he wanted to. Plus he's not going to want to wait 2 months.
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:21:33 AM

with the 990fx mobo i put in the link he will be able to upgrade later to a 6 core or to bulldozer too, bullzoer will have from quad cores to eight cores
m
l
!