IBM HDD siren & Error 174

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 11, 2005 9:55:15 PM

People,
My IBM 560Z has no external connections (floppy on the fritz, USB
doesn't work at all), so I used an IDE/2.5" adapter and hitched it up
to my PC. Worked fine - I managed to copy over the files I wanted.
Put it back in the laptop and it sirened at me - like a police siren,
6 sets of 3. Then the laptop threw up an error 174, which is a config
error.
I can see no mention of the siren anywhere on the web or Usenet.
Anyone any ideas? New HDD?
Thanks,
DAH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 7:53:05 PM

DAH <dont@email.me> wrote in news:5i5ma1ttg5ibrlu9l3fjc23i5k5pihn78g@
4ax.com:

> People,
> My IBM 560Z has no external connections (floppy on the fritz, USB
> doesn't work at all), so I used an IDE/2.5" adapter and hitched it up
> to my PC. Worked fine - I managed to copy over the files I wanted.
> Put it back in the laptop and it sirened at me - like a police siren,
> 6 sets of 3. Then the laptop threw up an error 174, which is a config
> error.
> I can see no mention of the siren anywhere on the web or Usenet.
> Anyone any ideas? New HDD?
> Thanks,
> DAH

sirens and sounds at post-up are often from the motherboard, complaining
about a bad set-up somewhere - no fan, fried parts, etc.... try accessing
the drive again via another system.

that being said, bad HDDs can get pretty noisy, but if you heard specific
tones in sets, i'll bet it's the laptop motherboard complaining about some
serious hardware problem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 3:05:55 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:53:05 -0500, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

>sirens and sounds at post-up are often from the motherboard, complaining
>about a bad set-up somewhere - no fan, fried parts, etc.... try accessing
>the drive again via another system.
I wish... no, it's definitely the HDD - it makes the same noise in
both the laptop and my PC. I suspect that the connector was misaligned
and the 2 power pins fed power into the other pins and fried
something. Bugger!
Still, strange that there is not a single mention anywhere that I can
find about these strange sirens - not on the web, or Usenet, on the
IBM site - anywhere. But it's definitely a deliberate siren warning
noise.
DAH
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 3:05:56 AM

DAH <dont@email.me> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:53:05 -0500, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

> Still, strange that there is not a single mention anywhere that I can
> find about these strange sirens - not on the web, or Usenet, on the
> IBM site - anywhere. But it's definitely a deliberate siren warning
> noise.

A crashed hard drive head dragging on the disk makes a unique noise.
That may be what you are hearing. It's bad news.

a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 3:05:56 AM

DAH <dont@email.me> wrote:
>I wish... no, it's definitely the HDD - it makes the same noise in
>both the laptop and my PC.

What does it do in your converter card with just the power supply
applied? If it makes the same noise it's not a siren, it's a crashed
head or bad bearings.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 11:26:01 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:49:43 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:
>What does it do in your converter card with just the power supply
>applied? If it makes the same noise it's not a siren, it's a crashed
>head or bad bearings.
No, it's unquestionably a deliberately-designed siren. I've tried it
about 20 times, and it's absolutely identical each time - 6 sets of 3
whoops, the same in the PC and in the laptop. Definitely not a random
head drag noise, but probably every bit as bad...
DAH.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 11:26:02 AM

DAH <dont@email.me> wrote:
>No, it's unquestionably a deliberately-designed siren.

Except that hard drives _don't_ have deliberate noise emitters. You
might be hearing some EM resonance in your spin motor if you've
damaged it badly enough, or be hearing some number of spin-up trials
from the drive's firmware, but there aren't any 'speakers' in hard
drives.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2005 9:54:21 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 05:49:19 -0400, William P. N. Smith wrote:
>Except that hard drives _don't_ have deliberate noise emitters. You
>might be hearing some EM resonance in your spin motor if you've
>damaged it badly enough, or be hearing some number of spin-up trials
>from the drive's firmware, but there aren't any 'speakers' in hard
>drives.
I bet if you heard it you'd revise your opinion... :-)
A resonance would be an erratic noise, varying in pitch, speed,
frequency. This is definitely, no doubt about it, a siren. It does
*exactly* the same time after time - six absolutely identical sets of
absolutely identical sirens, and then it stops. It's definitely
programmed in. It's definitely not a head crash or bearing noise -
it's too melodic and too regular for that.
It also has what looks like a tiny speaker - a brwn ring with a black
centre. Obviously I don't know if that *is* a speaker - the moment I
pull the dive even a fraction out of the paltop it stops.
Not that it matters - one way or the other it's knackered... :-(
DAH.
!