diane-france

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I'm running a Windows XP 32-bit system - 512mb. For several years I've used WMP to transcribe digital recordings without any problems whatsoever but recently the machine has been 'hanging' while using this program. It's the same problem if I use the VLC media player, it crashes, sometimes after a couple of minutes and sometimes it'll work for an hour or so, the problem is totally random. I have had a fan fitted and upgraded the WMP to version 11 - which I've found is no good at all for transcribing as the 'seek' bar is not available in the mini-mode on version 11 - but that's another issue. Someone suggested re-installing Windows XP - But before I go down that route I'm wondering if this problem is anything to do with available memory - I have 74mb - do I need more to run media player programs? Obviously when transcribing you're 'skipping backwards and forwards' all the time, this presumably uses up a lot of memory - I don't know... Or could it just be the heat? Has anyone else had this problem?

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
You may want to re-post (or ask a moderator to move this post) to the Windows XP section. You'll likely get some responses as the section you've posted in currently has nothing to do with your problem. Secondly, your available mem is a bit low. Re-post in appropriate area to find out how to fix.

diane-france

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

Many thanks, will do.