Sign in with
Your question

The big question amd or intel

Last response: in CPUs
September 11, 2011 5:17:52 PM

I am choosing a ordering a gaming pc for the release of battlefield 3 and i don't know what cpu to get its out of these four bear in mind im on a buget aswell

i7-2600

i5-2500k

Phenom II X6 1100T

Phenom II X4 965

More about : big question amd intel

a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 5:29:04 PM

i5-2500k is you my recommended to get!!! It's current the best gaming or bang for buck CPU right now...
the 2600k is close/identical to the 2500k in gaming, just HyperThread on 2600k...
6Cores is 100% useless in games because no games takes advantage of it(AMD 1100t is kinda useless in games but good for CS5.5 and other encoding stuff for budget build)...
The Phenom II x4 965 is for budget gaming($500 or so) so i wouldn't get it if you got 1 grand to spend(get 2500k instead)...

EDIT: If you can wait for like 1-3 months, i recommend because you can get the X79/LGA2011 processor and the x3820 will be sold for $320(Same as 2600k) but it'll probably performs better but you'll probably have to OC with BCLK...
a c 159 à CPUs
September 11, 2011 5:30:39 PM

For a budget, go with the 965 x4; I've seen some on craigslist for around $100 recently. The 2500 i5 may come down in price around the holidays if you can wait. Frys had it for $150 about 2 months ago for one day only. They usually clear out old cpu inventory in Oct and Nov. The 1100t is still too expensive and won't benefit gaming as much.
Related resources
September 11, 2011 5:45:21 PM

What about the i7???
September 11, 2011 5:57:13 PM

nitesh45 said:
What about the i7???

What about it?
a c 473 à CPUs
September 11, 2011 5:59:01 PM

Core i7 CPUs have Hyper Threading (HT) capabilities which is why they are more expensive than Core i5 CPUs. Games do not take advantage of HT so if that is the primary purpose of your rig, then you will be paying for a feature that games have not been programed to use. Can games be programed to use HT? Of course, but it is up to the developer to do so.

The main difference between the Core i7-2600 and the i7-2600K for the average user is the "K" version can be easily overclocked. The regular i7-2600 have very limited overclocking capabilities, probably 300MHz - 400MHz.
September 11, 2011 5:59:23 PM

im not going to overclock it at all so should i get the i5 2500
a c 473 à CPUs
September 11, 2011 6:01:59 PM

If you are comparing the i7-2600K to the i5-2500K, then the 2600K has HT (as I stated above) and is 100MHz faster. Since it costs ~$100 more the than 2500K and games do not use HT, then you are basically pay $1 for every extra 1MHz.

If that sounds like a bargain to you, then buy the i7-2600k.
September 11, 2011 6:32:46 PM

Ye don't bother with 2600k unless you are rendering or converting HD videos, you could just get the 2500 if you arn't going to overclock, 2500k is only a few dollars more though isn't it and its nice to have the option of overclocking in the future im my opinion.

As legendkiller you could wait a month or two and have a look at the cpu's released then, or maybe there will be a price drop on the 2500/2500k as the new interations of them will be released in the following months.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 6:34:09 PM

No Point getting SB/SandyBridge if you dont plan on OverClocking... Get a low budget CPU like i5 2300... The 2600k is still in the Performance RANGE and not in the High-End range...
High-End Processor:
3960X(This once is extreme and is the fastest processor when it's released, It's just a bit better than 990x(by probably 20%-50%)...)
3820(This one is probably Better but only problem is you OC with BCLK)
Top 3 Performance Processor:
2600S
(2500k and lower)
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 6:41:37 PM

depends what you do, low end definatly amd

although you can buy a sandy bridge motherboard for £60, i3 2100 for £90
and 8gb ram for £40

£190 for not bad pc
£250 if you swap the i3 for i5
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 6:50:55 PM

Bulldozer in 1 - 2 weeks? wait before u make a decision. :) 
a c 146 à CPUs
September 11, 2011 7:36:23 PM

one to two weeks? The last I heard it wasn't going to be out until the end of October right around Halloween.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 7:47:59 PM

This thread is going to be an BullDozer Vs. SandyBridge-E lol JK....
I Recommend you wait for 3820 or 3930k because the 3930k is definitely better than 2600k...
September 11, 2011 7:55:24 PM

legendkiller said:
This thread is going to be an BullDozer Vs. SandyBridge-E lol JK....
I Recommend you wait for 3820 or 3930k because the 3930k is definitely better than 2600k...

But its only a gaming pc he wants, a 2600k and above aint really going to make a difference in gaming is it, its not like he will get more fps in games cas he chose say a 3930K over a 2500k. If 3930k is gonna be cheaper than 2500k tho, then may as well go for it.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 8:22:30 PM

nitesh45 said:
I am choosing a ordering a gaming pc for the release of battlefield 3 and i don't know what cpu to get its out of these four bear in mind im on a buget aswell

i7-2600

i5-2500k

Phenom II X6 1100T

Phenom II X4 965

out of those all, yes not many games can take advantage of 6 cores, but that 6 core processor is under 200 Canadian $... and the... higher clock (3.3GHz if im correct) will make for good multitasking...
September 11, 2011 8:53:03 PM

Well it looks like im going to get the i5 or if something new comes out after the i5 and its better at gaming i would get that
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 9:19:54 PM

AMD 1100t is superweak, look at those benchmark, i5 2500k beat all of it(Haven't looked at it myself XD, all i know is that my 950 is better than 1100t and 2500k better than 950)
September 11, 2011 9:33:22 PM

Either get 955 BE or wait until BD, which is what I am doing.
September 11, 2011 9:58:21 PM

I will go for the i7 2600k if I had the money,because it can make some difference in video encoding and will give you a few fps more gaming. it's got 4 cores,8 threads, the i5's got 4 cores, 4 threads..but dont uderestimate the i5 because you will be amazed of what it can do.
Have a look at this: http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
Regarding overclocking, it depends on what motherboard are you using, some of them offer different ranges of oc. but if you say you are not interested in overclocking then it doesnt matter.
Just make sure you install an SSD and enough ram and it will blow you away.
a b à CPUs
September 11, 2011 10:28:05 PM

damian86 said:
I will go for the i7 2600k if I had the money,because it can make some difference in video encoding and will give you a few fps more gaming. it's got 4 cores,8 threads, the i5's got 4 cores, 4 threads..but dont uderestimate the i5 because you will be amazed of what it can do.
Have a look at this: http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
Regarding overclocking, it depends on what motherboard are you using, some of them offer different ranges of oc. but if you say you are not interested in overclocking then it doesnt matter.
Just make sure you install an SSD and enough ram and it will blow you away.

Buying cheap brand mobo will cause system instability with other hardware
a c 86 à CPUs
September 11, 2011 11:17:15 PM

rds1220 said:
one to two weeks? The last I heard it wasn't going to be out until the end of October right around Halloween.

lol, that would be hillarious, they will probably just dress up their phenom II core's and put a Bulldozer outfit on it. but seriously.....october 11th they say now, but they change their minds every week.
September 12, 2011 12:17:42 AM

legendkiller said:
Buying cheap brand mobo will cause system instability with other hardware

I don't know what you mean by that but I know, Motherboards are very important when you are making a new build.I always look for big makes like Asus,rog boards and maybe other ones but I have my eye on asus brand.Even if I don't plan to overclock,I would make sure that I got plenty headroom for later, if you know what i mean.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:52:27 AM

nitesh45 said:

i7-2600

i5-2500k

Phenom II X6 1100T

Phenom II X4 965

It really boils down to do you have a moral compass?

Intel has been convicted numerous times of violation of anti-trust laws in their effort to crush AMD so that Intel could have an illegally gotten monopoly and consumers would have no choice but to pay Intel's exorbitant prices.

Thankfully Intel was convicted and failed to crush AMD and limit consumer choice. In addition Intel has been convicted numerous times of U.S. tax fraud. So if you have any moral compass you'd vote with your wallet as buying Intel is clearly supporting criminal activity which hurts us all.

Both the 1100T and 965 AMD CPUs will provide excellent performance so wither will be a good choice and you can sent a financial message to Intel about their unscrupulous business practices. Without AMD we are all screwed.

As far as mobos go I recommend Gigabyte mobos for the best performance and reliability. The only two mobos that I have had fail in 20 years of buiding high end PCs have been Asus and I've used mobos from all the majors including Intel, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Epox, etc.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 1:55:52 AM

beenthere said:
It really boils down to do you have a moral compass?

Intel has been convicted numerous times of violation of anti-trust laws in their effort to crush AMD so that Intel could have an illegally gotten monopoly and consumers would have no choice but to pay Intel's exorbitant prices.

Thankfully Intel was convicted and failed to crush AMD and limit consumer choice. In addition Intel has been convicted numerous times of U.S. tax fraud. So if you have any moral compass you'd vote with your wallet as buying Intel is clearly supporting criminal activity which hurts us all.

Both the 1100T and 965 AMD CPUs will provide excellent performance so wither will be a good choice and you can sent a financial message to Intel about their unscrupulous business practices. Without AMD we are all screwed.

As far as mobos go I recommend Gigabyte mobos for the best performance and reliability. The only two mobos that I have had fail in 20 years of buiding high end PCs have been Asus and I've used mobos from all the majors including Intel, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Epox, etc.

1 lets say, any big company will do anything to make sure they are "top dog"
but what you just posted dosent help this topic at all because morality dosent make a processor faster
the proof is in the pudding you can say
yes intel may have done those thing(i dont know ive never heard these claims) but heres what i would rank these

1. Phenom II x6 because of the largest cache, and the extra 2 cores will give you a little more room while multi tasking, but uses the most power

2.i7 tied for the highest clock of all of them, but uses less power

3.Phenom II x4 tied for highest clock also, but uses much more power

and
4.i5 slightly lower clock, slightly smaller cache, uses same ammount of power as the i7
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 2:55:03 AM

Your assumption that ANY big company will do whatever to stay on top is a false assumption. Some criminal companies will do whatever to stay on top and those are the ones you should boycott as they cost us all more for everything we buy when they try to eliminate competition.

AMD CPUs produce excellent performance. That's why you should vote with your wallet !
September 12, 2011 3:14:01 AM

Conspiracy theories aside let's focus on CPU performance.

Quote:
1. Phenom II x6 because of the largest cache, and the extra 2 cores will give you a little more room while multi tasking, but uses the most power

and
4.i5 slightly lower clock, slightly smaller cache, uses same ammount of power as the i7

Uh Clock speed is one thing, but you shouldn't rate them in order of cores/clocks even tho thats the easiest way to line them all up. Gaming performance the intel's are better then amd's. As mentioned 6 cores useless to gaming as it HT, so it's really a choice between the i5 and the 965, if money isn't a limiting factor there buy the i5 it's better.
September 12, 2011 3:44:03 AM

What is your budget? AMD's offerings are competative for the money you spend but If you want extra performance go with intel. This could change with the bulldozer though.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 3:52:05 AM

benikens said:
Conspiracy theories aside let's focus on CPU performance.

Quote:

and

Uh Clock speed is one thing, but you shouldn't rate them in order of cores/clocks even tho thats the easiest way to line them all up. Gaming performance the intel's are better then amd's. As mentioned 6 cores useless to gaming as it HT, so it's really a choice between the i5 and the 965, if money isn't a limiting factor there buy the i5 it's better.

Of co2500k is better because it's new+32nm... these "2nd Gen" processor is 15% faster than the i7 9xx at stuff... AMD is junk and/or for budget build... Extra 2 cores is worthless when a single Intel core is the same as two amd cores(2500k defeated the 1100t on most stuff)...

EDIT: 2ng Gen Processor can OC to 4.8GHz Easily so it's way faster...
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 4:31:54 AM

There is no conspiracy theories at all. The Intel convictions are public knowledge.

AMD CPUs deliver plenty of performance so it really comes down to if you care about supporting criminals or not.

People are free to make an informed buying decision. Chose wisely because your options in the future may be none if Intel continues their illegal Biz practices.
September 12, 2011 5:07:33 AM

beenthere said:
There is no conspiracy theories at all. The Intel convictions are public knowledge.

AMD CPUs deliver plenty of performance so it really comes down to if you care about supporting criminals or not.

People are free to make an informed buying decision. Chose wisely because your options in the future may be none if Intel continues their illegal Biz practices.

He does have a point, if people support Intel they hurt the computer industry in the long run since companies like amd would not have money to research more competative technologies which would force intel to rapidly innovate. But beethere you have to realize that AMD ain't no saint they would do the same if they were in the position. Back to the point AMD does offer good solutions and there less likely to screw you in the future since they don't continuously make you buy motherboards. The intel or amd argument shouldn't come down to who is better but what is your budget. I would prefer a phenom ii over an i3 since it has more long term value but if you really want extra performance go with the i5. Also if you buy a phenom ii you'll have an upgrade path to amd fx. They are priced at i5 and i7 ranges meaning if you know amd that they will either be equal or better to intel's.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:16:05 AM

Actually AMD has proven to be a very reputable company and a good citizen unlike Intel. If it wasn't for AMD we'd still be using Pentium 90's that cost $1000 a pop.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:41:30 PM

beenthere said:
Actually AMD has proven to be a very reputable company and a good citizen unlike Intel. If it wasn't for AMD we'd still be using Pentium 90's that cost $1000 a pop.

you really cant prove that... well coz AMD is here... IF these accusations are true (i dont know as i said) i really dont see how it would make a difference when trying to find a better processor

im sure AMD may have somthing to do with the advancement of the computer industry, but if there was no competition, there wouldnt be much reason to make advancements in any hurry... coz no one else will take the spotlight

and if you say intel is supporting criminals... even if they are... it shouldnt have an effect on the quality of the processor(i hope lol...)
September 12, 2011 4:03:04 PM

Ok my buget has changed alot so i need something cheap you know buget type stuff
September 12, 2011 4:46:21 PM

price has to be something around the 970 processer
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:24:45 PM

What's your budget in $$$? Are you buying an entire system? HDDs, opticals, monitor, everything?
September 12, 2011 5:30:37 PM

£700 in dollars 1110$ im am buying just the pc and the moniter later not interested stuff i dont need to make the pc run but i need 1TB hd
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:45:48 PM

Well, you're just in the range for an i5-2500k. I'm thinking the 2500k + Z68 mobo + 8 GB RAM + Radeon 6950 should go for about £500-£600. Add case, 650+W PSU, HDD and optical drive.
September 12, 2011 5:52:47 PM

im not going to overclock it
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:57:15 PM

Get the non-K one then. You can probably save a few £ buying a cheaper MB too, enabling let's say a second HDD for RAID. Or a SDD.
September 12, 2011 6:36:13 PM

nna2 said:
you really cant prove that... well coz AMD is here... IF these accusations are true (i dont know as i said) i really dont see how it would make a difference when trying to find a better processor

im sure AMD may have somthing to do with the advancement of the computer industry, but if there was no competition, there wouldnt be much reason to make advancements in any hurry... coz no one else will take the spotlight

and if you say intel is supporting criminals... even if they are... it shouldnt have an effect on the quality of the processor(i hope lol...)

actually AMD has won court cases that accused Intel of anticompetative acts.
September 12, 2011 6:52:06 PM

well at your budget you have either the intel i3 2120, the phenom ii x4 970 you mentioned, or the phenom ii x6 1055t. The i3 is a dual core with better perfomance per core than the phenoms but in my opinions that doesn't matter much since games are already being made to take advantage 3+ cores which will give the phenoms an advantage. The phenom ii x4 970 is clocked @ 3.5ghz compared to the x6 @ 2.8- 3.3ghz depending on application cpu usage. Since you said you objective is to play battlefield 3 the best of the cpu's would be the phenom ii x6 1055t would be the best choice. It is in you budget range like all the others but it takes advantage of battlefields 6 core usage. Also if you buy an AMD platform you will be able to upgrade to their FX processors when they drop in price, based their pricing they should perform equal to or better than the sandybridge offerings.
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 7:06:10 PM

Yeah AMD processors offer good performance at compelling price points, allowing more maneuverability within your budget. Either brand will get you smooth gameplay.
September 12, 2011 7:13:50 PM

Thanks guys for all the help
!