Heatsinks for Socket 1155

J_Rimmer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I was hoping to get some opinions or possibly some actual data on which aftermarket CPU cooler would be best for $45 USD or lower for my Socket 1155 Core i5.

I don’t plan on doing any over clocking past what the i5 2500’s turbo boost takes it.
(Stock at 3.3GHz, turbo boost takes it up to 3.7 GHz max)

Goal: Finding a cooler that will run my i5 at the 3.7 GHz under max load while keeping it under 50 degrees Celsius. (If this is unrealistic let me know, hopefully at least under 60 degrees Celsius)

Criteria:
1. I want to buy the cooler from Newegg, so if they don’t have it, I don’t plan on buying it.
2. Hopefully something that will last me a couple of years. (Durable)
3. Meets that $45 or under price point.

Note: I do plan on using arctic silver 5 if that will help me to achieve my goal.

Thanks for the help!

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
If you don't plan on doing any manual OC'ing at all and just letting it do the default turbo boost, you probably don't even need an aftermarket cooler.

That being said, I would get the "K"(unlocked) version of the processor, along with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ cooler. This way you will have great temps and can OC eventually if you decide to.

The cooler runs for around $30 brand new. I have it, along with a 2500k, and I'm OC @ 4.2GHz, my idle temps are mid 30's, and while gaming, they go up to low 50's. Not really sure on stuff like prime 95. And this is in the middle of summer with a hot ambient temperature(80F in room), along with poor case airflow.

Hope that helps!

J_Rimmer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I’ve seen the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ mentioned on multiple forums and it has great reviews on Newegg. So with two additional recommendations here on Tom’s hardware I think that’s the one I’m going to go with.

In reply to trogdor796, I already purchased my processor my i5 2500 (not unlocked) which I’m happy with, I really don’t plan on over clocking anything. I just want fast stock speeds for reduced temperatures and decent gaming performance. My laptop (Asus N90Sv) which I’m writing this on now has had more than a few problems, so stability is extremely important to me.

As far as the stock fan being adequate, it may be for general computing, but I’m not sure for gaming. I was running a stress test on my graphics card (GTX 570) and after about 10 minutes my processor was reaching temperatures of around 68 -70 degrees Celsius. The stress test really hadn’t done too much at that point (graphics card was running at like 90% load, but there was defiantly more testing to go). I ended up stopping the test because I was worried about burning up my new processor. As I have been reading up though, it looks like you can be the 70 degrees range and still be safe (some even say 80s as long as it’s not for a long time). Regardless hardware is going to last longer the cooler you keep it, so I hope this cooler will do the trick.

Thanks for the replys!

Even without overclocking, an aftermarket cooler will make much less noise under load. A worthy objective, regardless.

The stock cooler will adequately cool a stock cpu. Under load, it will spin up to high rpm's and be noisy, but it will cool well enough.

Do not be alarmed at cpu temperatures up to 70c. At 90c or so, the cpu will start to downclock itself to protect itself. That should only happen during a synthetic stress exercise.

Also, if you have a hot graphics card, there will be more need for a good cpu cooler. A graphics card will heat up the air in the case that the cpu cooler uses for cooling.

----------------bottom line---------------
You will be pleased with the 212.

TRENDING THREADS