Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which video card is best for this home built computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2011 4:15:24 PM

I recently assembled my new home built pc and I'm looking for a good video card for it. The motherboard is a Micro ATX MSI 785GTM E45 that has- Expansion Slots: one PCI Express 2.0 x16,
one PCI Express x1 and two PCI Slots. The motherboard supports up to 8 GB of 2×240pin, DDR2 1066/800/667 Dual Channel RAM Memory (It only has installed right now 2 cards of 2 GB each-making a total of four GB of RAM but i can install more RAM if it is needed for the new video card to work). The CPU installed is an AMD Phenom 2 x4 9750, quad core at 2.4GHz. It has 450-Watt Power Supply that came with the computer case that is a PowerUp ATX Tower Case, Model: TC3J-4050 P.
I would like to buy the best video card available compatible with this hardware or at least one that can run the newest video games at high graphic level. I would like to know also, if it is not too much to ask, what are the parameter on the hardware mentioned above that one have to look for to make a decision on weather the video card is compatible or not. I'm referring to things like PCI bus speed, processor operational frequency and stuff like those. The point of my second question is, how can I know if a video card is compatible with my pc by looking at its properties and then to my computer properties?
Thanks in advance :D 

Additional Details

Here are the links with the websites where you can find more info about the hardware I mentioned before.
Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
CPU: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/it...
RAM Memory: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/it...
Computer Case and Power Supply: https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/it...
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2011 4:26:01 PM

You can't put anything high end in that PC i'm sorry to say.That procssor will bog down anything you put in it.
I'd say the maximum you can put into it is a 5670 or GTS450.But neither of those will run games at the max.
What games do you play?
What type of power supply do you have?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 7:13:18 PM

lol you mean a Phenom (I) x4? purp stank is right though, maybe a second hand card off ebay if your psu can handle it (which I assume if you didn't list it it will not) a 4870 or gtx 260 and from the new market maybe a gts 450, 5670 or maybe even a 5750 but I would not go anything higher than that I think even a 5770 would be cut down quite a bit with you lowly CPU, sorry bud I understand that you just assembled this comp, hopefully for a good price and it will serve well as an office pc but for gaming (depending on what your expectations are) you might have to build a new rig...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 7:17:15 PM

if you want to go with anything better than a 5670 then you will need to upgrade your psu, and overclock the cpu...
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2011 8:40:13 PM

I suggest complety upgrading the CPU,that will require a new mobo also.Even if you manage to get a decent O.C. out of it you will still be lacking in many areas.I've also heard that the first gen phenoms are terrible O.Cer's.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 11:11:39 PM

yes, agreed, I've heard that as well
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 12:49:41 AM

You guys talk as if the 9750 was the weakest quad core out there. It wasn't that bad. No, its not a high end cpu, but it can run games decent enough still (check youtube, plenty of people still using this cpu for gaming even now on recent games). Considering how much they cost these days, pretty good price for the performance. Except the major RTS type titles, games are not as demanding on the cpu these days, esp the frame capped games like Force Unleased 2, Split Second. Modern fps like Crysis 2 or Bulletstorm will run on that cpu fine.

The OP should ditch his power supply though if it is some generic junk. If he did want to swap out cpus, his board will take AM2 through AM3 cpus Purple Stank, so he does not need to swap out motherboards. As far as graphics card goes OP, considering the cpu you have, I would not go past a 6850 due to your cpu, unless you do plan to do a new cpu purchase in the next few months to a quad core in the 2.8-3.1 ghz range. Otherwise you are just dishing out too much cash for performance you will not see until you get a faster cpu.

Personally, if it was my rig, I would send the cpu back in for a refund if they would take it without charging a restock fee, and I would put a tad extra into nabbing a Athlon II X4 635 or Phenom II X4 820 or 840 cpu. Then I would nab a decent 500 watt power supply, and a Geforce GTX 460 or HD 6850, but nothing past that.

If the op is dead set on using the X4 9750, same deal, nab a newer/better power supply, and buy a GTX 460 or HD 6850. As long as the OP isn't shooting for ultra high fps on their games, they should be ok at high details (not ultra/ extreme or anything) on at least 1440x900 to 1680x1050 depending on the game.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2011 3:01:03 AM

i would put a gtx460, or amd 6850 with that setup but only if the power supply was replaced with something good. The CPU isnt as bad as others say but upgrading it would be beneficial.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 3:24:50 AM

^^yeah its not terrible but any much higher than the 6850/460 mark is going to be sort of wasted gpu muscle to a certain degree, all in all for solid midrange gpus it will hold its own

on most cpu hierarchy charts the 9750 is on par with an e7200/regor 240 so yeah around a 6850/gtx460 level of performance is your best bet imo
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2011 4:18:04 AM

I still think you shouldn't go higher than a 5670.
2.4ghz is really slow espically for a 2 year old processor. O.C. and you will see better results but i seriously doubt you can get the full potentional out of a 6850 or GTX460.
m
l
April 4, 2011 4:46:59 AM

Hey,
Get a 5770, your psu will be able to handle it and your processor will be fine. You will be able to play a lot of stuff at a decent clip with that. As far as trying to play the best games of today at the highest levels everybody else is correct you are not going to be able to. Buy a 360 instead. I've sunk a couple thousand into my computer in the last year and a half and most games still play better on the consoles. I'm going to get into trouble for saying that! LOL.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 6:34:17 AM

shane799 said:
Hey,
Get a 5770, your psu will be able to handle it and your processor will be fine. You will be able to play a lot of stuff at a decent clip with that. As far as trying to play the best games of today at the highest levels everybody else is correct you are not going to be able to. Buy a 360 instead. I've sunk a couple thousand into my computer in the last year and a half and most games still play better on the consoles. I'm going to get into trouble for saying that! LOL.

You gotta be kidding me. Thats the stupidest crap I have seen posted on this forum yet. For one, you have no idea how well built his power supply may be. If it came with the case odds are it is a crappy generic, and there is no way you really want one of those powering any kind of decent system, as crappy generics hardly ever deliver even 3/4ths of their stated power. Two, the cash he could throw down for a 360 could just as easily be spent towards bettering his system. He is not that far off from having a decent rig, just needs a better power supply and graphics card. After that, he will have a computer beating out any current home systems visual experience, with better frame rates. If he had the cash to buy both a 360 with a decent sized hard drive, and a HD 5770, then he could just as easily buy a faster cpu, new card, and power supply and be done with it.

Also, last but not least, people get into pc gaming for a couple of huge reasons. One, visuals and audio are better on good hardware, and two, the gaming experience is different, and vastly superior for online players. If you cant grasp that, then you shouldn't be messing with the stuff to begin with, nor trying to offer advice related to that subject to others based on your clearly jaded view of how pc gaming is. Just because you are not happy with your pc gaming results after pouring over a thousand in, does not mean the next guy wont be after doing so either. And hell, you can build a nice solid gaming pc for under $700 bucks these days. You don't have to blow thousands in order to get great results. It's great you're happier with your 360, good for you. Enjoy your barely 720P, low texture, 20-30fps random RROD experience. Have at it. :p  While your at it, you should trade in you two thousand dollar pc rig for a PS3 and a Wii too. ;)  Everyone else here will continue to enjoy their high end gaming experience.
m
l
April 4, 2011 1:32:02 PM

Oh Oh, I've angered a teenager on the forums.

If you check out my signature you will see that I am clearly an enthusiast when it comes to my computer. I'm actually starting up a new build right now that will make my current one sad. In response to your rant. The guy asking clearly wants to play new games at the "Highest Settings" I think thats what he said. He can't period. With that old rig he has do you think he's got a 27" inch 1080P monitor? In order to play stuff with decent settings which will be around 720P or maybe some at 1680 by 1080 with poor frames per second he will have to spend about $200-300.

He can run a 5770 with what he has now as I said. I know I have 2 of them! They are the most energy efficient decent model on the shelves. With a single 5770 you can run a lot of stuff decent with his set up. If you want to run Crysis or 2033 at the "highest settings" you will get about 10 frames per second. He could play them at 720P and get great frame rates though. But he could just play them on his 360 then? And instead of using a 17 inch monitor he could play on his HD TV that everybody has these days. I love gaming on my PC it rocks. I also have "A LOT" of disposable income. I can afford to piss 200 bucks a month to play around with PC parts. Do I recommend it to my friends, not really.

I will continue to PC game, as I do love the better graphics and frame rates. I am a die hard gamer and have been for over 25 years. But I still wonder why I'm not playing some of these games on my 60 inch LED TV with my theater seating and 1500W stereo.

Its an opinion...my opinion. You shouldn't blast people on forums if "their opinion" doesn't match your opinion.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 6:24:16 PM

shane799 said:

If you check out my signature you will see that I am clearly an enthusiast when it comes to my computer. I'm actually starting up a new build right now that will make my current one sad. In response to your rant. The guy asking clearly wants to play new games at the "Highest Settings" I think thats what he said. He can't period. With that old rig he has do you think he's got a 27" inch 1080P monitor? In order to play stuff with decent settings which will be around 720P or maybe some at 1680 by 1080 with poor frames per second he will have to spend about $200-300.

He can run a 5770 with what he has now as I said. I know I have 2 of them! They are the most energy efficient decent model on the shelves. With a single 5770 you can run a lot of stuff decent with his set up. If you want to run Crysis or 2033 at the "highest settings" you will get about 10 frames per second. He could play them at 720P and get great frame rates though. But he could just play them on his 360 then? And instead of using a 17 inch monitor he could play on his HD TV that everybody has these days. I love gaming on my PC it rocks. I also have "A LOT" of disposable income. I can afford to piss 200 bucks a month to play around with PC parts. Do I recommend it to my friends, not really.

I will continue to PC game, as I do love the better graphics and frame rates. I am a die hard gamer and have been for over 25 years. But I still wonder why I'm not playing some of these games on my 60 inch LED TV with my theater seating and 1500W stereo.

Its an opinion...my opinion. You shouldn't blast people on forums if "their opinion" doesn't match your opinion.

You shouldn't assume anyone's age around here. I am alot older then you think. With his current cpu his fps would not be that bad off with a 6850 or a GTX 460, and with a slight cpu upgrade he would be set. I guess you missed the reviews for those cards, but they do game at 1080P resolution pretty well. Performance at higher resolutions is more of a GPU dependent issue, and less a CPU one. If you were a enthusiast as you say, you seriously would know something like that, but as is sounds like you are just jaded about computer gaming, and un-knowledgeable, regardless of how much you supposedly pour into your system every month. And for throwing down over two grand, and currently using just two HD 5770 cards, it does not sound like you have accomplished much if you still feel you need most of your gaming handled by the 360.

Infact, by your sig specs you posted prior, lets assume you are using two HD 5770 cards, a Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5, and a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. Well, the total cost for all of that doesn't exceed $800 bucks if you spent maybe $200 per part rounded off. So what did you do, spend another $1400 on hard drives, ram, case, and cpu coolers there Mr.Enthusiast. For that matter, wtf is "OMZ BE RAM". Did you mean OCZ? When listing your rig specs, do you ever bother to list them completely and without typos so people know you're not using some imaginary system you made up on the fly? Also, you listed those same specs last Oct, so again, where has all this money gone exactly? For stating
Quote:
I can afford to piss 200 bucks a month to play around with PC parts.
not much has changed with your system in 5 months time ehh?

And look, a 5770 is a good card in its own right. I use two of them for Crossfire myself, but the guy can do more with his current build then a single 5770 can cover, so stop suggesting he just buy one of those because that was the card you decided to settle on there when you're not gaming on your 360. His board will take AM3 cpus, and his current cpu is not that bad. You're jaded "opinion" is not helping the guy at all. And when clowns start bragging about massive game set ups, and pouring mullahs of cash into their rigs, it would be nice to actually see pics of their stuff, with them in the pic holding a sign with their forum id on it, to go along with the bragging. I mean seriously, you sound like you are just spouting BS now, like saying owning a 60 inch LED tv and gazillion watt sound systems will make you sound any more knowledgeable anyway lol. You just sound like a sucker who lies badly when called out on his own BS. Coincidentally, the crap you said is the same kinda stupid stuff teens spout. Makes one wonder what you're true age is.... Or not, who cares. 15, 22, 36, you sound moronic either way.

The OP would be doing himself a huge favor by ignoring this foolish jaded clowns recommendation of buying a 360 and a HD 5770. Its not just a bad opinion, its terrible advice. You can do a lot more with your system OP for just $200-300 more, so hang in there.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 8:25:46 PM

shane799 said:

you use 5770 crossfire and you call yourself a "hardcore" gamer ROFL, LMFAO.... the minimum fps on those things has got to be pathetic not to mention that they will get crushed in metro and crysis on high settings at 1080p, lol you have got to be joking.

blah blah blah im rich and have a 60" led tv no one likes gloating and name dropping buddy besides that, no hardcore pc gamer is going to be using a freakin 60" led tv that is insane if your gonna drop money like that just to game on a pc then you might as well go for 3d/ips/eyeinfinity or a 25X16 monitor...
m
l
April 4, 2011 9:24:03 PM

Hey Red Bull,

Sorry this flame war interfered with your question. My answer remains the same. You could run a 5770 or below with your current hardware. A couple of other gentlemen on here recommended other choices the 460 or the 5830. You could try those but I don't think your power supply will handle them. You would have to upgrade it. Since you asked to keep everything else the same the 5770 is probably your best choice for the Power supply limitations you are working with.

As far as what is compatible any of the cards for sale today are going to be PCIE 2.0. You will be fine with pretty much anything. But like I said your powersupply will cause problems. The first thing to do is check to see what the extra connections are like on the powersupply itself. Hopefully you will have an extra 6 pin connection that will power a modern card. If you don't have a six pin you can use 2 of the 4 pins together with an harness to make a single six pin.

As far as performance from my suggestion, you are going to get OK graphics from this setup, but not what you are hoping for I think. You have to keep in mind that you will not be able to crossfire cards with your motherboard only having the one 2.0 slot.

Good luck and have fun.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2011 10:01:22 PM

The OP has never responded...i think this thread is dead.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 10:22:15 PM

lol really worthless thread
m
l
April 5, 2011 4:12:56 AM

I'm really sorry guys, but I have been really buisy these last days but I have read all your replyes and I'm really greatful that you have answered. I would like to apply some of your recommedations and upgrade some hardware but unfortunately I have unexpectedly run out of cash and the only thing that I can afford right now is a video card (the best possible) that can run with my current hardware. So I would like to know some brands and models that you guys think are good. With respect to the power supply and its free power connectors I have taken some picture of the inside of my comp. so you can have a better picture of the computer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53134846@N03/
With respect to the high resolution graphics, well i guess that I'm just going to face the reality and be happy with the graphics that it will output.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2011 8:08:49 PM

The best card you can get a is a 5670.I beleieve your PSU and CPU are far to weak to support anything higher.

MSI 5670 $95=$65 after MIR + $5 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The amperage on 12/v rail for your PSU issn't very strong so i wouldn't reccomend anything over a 5670.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2011 8:10:40 PM

^yep agreed just like that other thread with the slimline
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2011 8:12:09 PM

I think the cpu could handle a bit more power say a 6850 at most but that is only if the OP got a new PSU and OC'ed his cpu a bit
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2011 9:02:12 PM

Yah that is the main reson why i suggested the 5670 because of the power restrictions of his current PSU.
m
l
April 8, 2011 10:00:09 PM

purple stank said:
Yah that is the main reson why i suggested the 5670 because of the power restrictions of his current PSU.

Ok so... does that means that I can't install any video card that requires some kind of external power supply such as any PCI express power connector of 6 pins for example even though that the Video card is compatible with the Motherboard?. I was wondering because, as you all could see on the picture of my power supply and cables, the only type I have is an 8 pin connector (I don't know if it is a PCIe connector used for Video cards or just an 8 pin ATX connector) and a bunch of normal 4 pin connectors ( I guess they are mainly used for connecting stuff like hard drives and DVD drives). And, for example, is there a way to adapt this 8 pin to a Video card with a 6 pin input?.
m
l

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2011 10:11:16 PM

Your power supply states that it's only capable of 210watts on the 12/v.Which means i'm even reluctant to reccomend the 5670.Might even be a good idea to go with something lower.IMO,you should just buy a different PSU.The ones they provide with case combos are really crap.The 8 pin you see is for the CPU.Yes you could use a molex adapter for a 4pin to 6pin but your PSU cannot handle any GPU that requires a 6pin.

Basicly you need to buy a new PSU or get a lower powered GPU.But i'm thinking you would like to paly games at a reasonable level of intesinity so i think you should just buy a new PSU.If you did buy a new PSU you then could get a more powerful GPU.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 6:06:37 PM

^+1 yes, exactly
m
l
April 16, 2011 11:04:13 PM

Best answer selected by Red Bull.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 17, 2011 12:07:11 AM