GTX 570 (?) crash

tenbosch

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello,

I get a strange crash when I'm playing Shogun 2 TW (and probably other games aswell) with my brand new system. Suddenly my systems' zooming sound goes down an octave and at the same time the screen goes black; then the monitor starts looking for a signal, which it is not getting apparently. I get the feeling my video card has just stopped working, or something like that.
I have an nvidia GTX 570, Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Proc, 8 gig ram, and, again, its all brand new!
This crash occurs irregularly; sometimes I can game for hours before it happens, sometimes it happens after a few minutes, but it eventually always happens.
Does anyone have any idea on what to do about it? Thanks

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I know this is about a week old, but are you still having these issues? Because i have an MSI n570GTX and i had the same issue (which i learned how to fix) Do you have the msi n570GTX?

ardvark_xxx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Corey, I have the same card and it has been happening to me. I somehow "fixed" it twice but this latest time I have no idea. I have tried everything and am at a loss. What did you do to fix it? I was thinking it was a faulty card but the more I read suggests its a driver issue. Please help.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO READ THIS POST SLOWLY FOR FULL UNDERSTANDING (i really don't know how skilled you are, so really read this post closely, so you understand)
"METHOD 1 (Just added this above the below method, because i figured out how to do it today!)"
This is how you update your bios! Your bios right now is KK0, and the KK1 update will fix this exact issue: Use following directions :)
Use liveupdate!
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N570GTX-M2D12D5.html#/?div=Utility&os=Win7%2032
Step 1:
Install
Step 2: Run program, when it opens you should see a bunch of tabs. The first says HOME and the second says "LIVE UPDATE" Click the tab that says LIVE UPDATE.
Step 3:Click manual scan, and select only the VGA Bios
Step 4: Once it skans it should find the new bios update (you should have version KK0, and the update is version kk1)
Step 5: Download the bios!
Step 6: Find the download location: Which should be here:
C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 5\LU5\DL_FILE
In the DL_FILE folder there should be a file named MSV801_KK1.exe
Step 7:
Run the KK1.exe, instal the bios (easy, just follow instructions, i think you don't even need to touch anything, maybe a "touch any button" to start kind of thing)
Step 8: Restart PC
Step 9: Enjoy stable GPU!! :)
Step 10: if this did not work, follow to METHOD 2

"METHOD 2"
Ok, the msi card is PRE-overclocked, and some of them have faulty bios's or something that causes that pre-clock to be unstable. For example, if you were to buy an ORIGINAL Gtx 570, it would have this clock.
Core Clock (mhz)=732
Shader Clock (mhz)=1464
Memory Clock (mhz)=2000 (or 1900, i'm not sure)

Then the card we have overclocks it to this:
Core Clock (mhz)=786
Shader Clock (mhz)= 1600
Memory (mhz)=2100
Normally this would be a FINE overclock, but the bios that comes with our card allows this to be UNSTABLE. So all you have to do is UNDERCLOCK the card a little, to the reference value (732\1464\1900). And THEN push the voltage up to 1Volt. This can all be done with MSI Afterburner. If this doesn't solve your issue, keep adding 10 milli volts (max msi allows is 1100 millivolts, so it's very save to overvolt with msi) Now your games should stop crashing! :)

PS: obviously it sucks that you have to underclock your card to the original GTX 570, but if you give it enough voltage you can easily overclock it.
For example, this is MY clock set up right now, which works flawlessly.

Core Clock (mhz)=800
Shader Clock (mhz)=1600
Memory Clock (mhz)=2000
Core Voltage (mV\millivolts)=1040.
This set up works with no hiccups for me. But honestly don't try my clock until you try the suggested clock way above, to ENSURE this is your issue :)
Thanks! Hope this helps! Just reply if this works, or if you have any questions! :)