Will an AMD processor work in an asus motherboard?

Pizza9555

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I currently have an AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor and i am looking to get the ASUS ASUS P8Z68-V LE motherboard. And once i get this motherboard, I'm looking to upgrade to an AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor later on so it would really help me to know.

Solution
If you are looking to belong to the company that makes the fastest CPUs in the World - you can go Intel, however, will you be buying the fastest CPU?

If you are in the market for the average CPU, not the high end, then AMD is your best bet. They will always have a the best mid-range CPUs for much more affordable price than Intel.

People keep comparing AMD and Intel on who got THE fastest CPU, but people rarely buy really expensive CPUs, 90%, if not more, shop for an average, best bang for budget CPU, which is usually in the range of 100-300$, in which AMD and Intel are quite close, with AMD taking the lead in having quad cores that are significantly cheaper.

Yes, 2500k beats 955 X4 quad from AMD, but I can get AMD quad for 110$...

Socket AM2 boards with appropriate BIOS updates will work with Phenom IIs with the exception of Phenom II X6s. The X6s require the board to support separate power supply planes for the L3/IMC and cores ("split planes"), which Socket AM2 does not support.

Very high-end ASUS overclocker-special boards have a deserved reputation for being flaky, but the rest of their boards are just fine. Their mainline boards are good and I've had an excellent time with their server/workstation boards. They are also one of the few (only?) vendors that actually support the more-reliable ECC memory in their AMD desktop boards.

Pizza9555

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
oh i see. okay cool but ive been looking and i thing im getting a biostar mobo. it has 6gbps SATA slots and usb 3.0 slots and has AM3. with 4 memory slots. and it says its pretty much made for overclocking which is soweet! i think ill go for that.

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

Bulldozer is a new generation of AMD processors (it will be THE cpu of tomorrow :sol: )

Get Gigabyte instead of Biostar.

NCIX is a great online store and have parts organized by Socket so it's easy not to screw things up.

For motherboards, I recommend either:
- Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte

I STRONGLY advise you to wait and purchase all your parts together. Do you really want to mess around installing everything and do that again later?

IMO, you should wait and go with an Intel-based solution. I used to go with AMD but found they haven't been able to compete with Intel for the value of the CPU's.

The i5-2500K is an awesome CPU.

If in doubt, look up BENCHMARKS and compare this CPU to other ones you are considering.

Maksym

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
If you are looking to belong to the company that makes the fastest CPUs in the World - you can go Intel, however, will you be buying the fastest CPU?

If you are in the market for the average CPU, not the high end, then AMD is your best bet. They will always have a the best mid-range CPUs for much more affordable price than Intel.

People keep comparing AMD and Intel on who got THE fastest CPU, but people rarely buy really expensive CPUs, 90%, if not more, shop for an average, best bang for budget CPU, which is usually in the range of 100-300$, in which AMD and Intel are quite close, with AMD taking the lead in having quad cores that are significantly cheaper.

Yes, 2500k beats 955 X4 quad from AMD, but I can get AMD quad for 110$ while the cheapest 2500k would be at 220$. AMD overcloaks great and have plenty of power for gaming for years to come.

AMD mobos are also cheaper and offer better features for the buck. The socket on mobos also does not change as often as it does in Intel, and most CPUs are backwards compatible.

For gaming, you better get that 100$ and invest into the better card.

Solution

Pizza9555

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks everyone. really, you helped me. but now i know and understand everything about CPU's and i know almost every socket and whats compatible with each. and i also know that AMD is what i really like. I'm looking to get the AMD Phenom II x4 965 because it has 4 cores and its clocked at 3.4 Ghz (3400mhz) which is a great upgrade to my Athlon ii x2 250 with 2 cores clocked at 3.0 Ghz (3000 Mhz) my motherboard has an am3 socket which supports the 2 and the Asus motherboard i finally decided to get also supports AM3 which will give my Athlon, and my upcoming Phenom, a nice home. Also the motherboard is crossfire ready and i happen to have 2 ATI Radeon Graphics Cards. hah i cant wait :D Thanks again. See ya!

TRENDING THREADS