Asus z9PE-D8 problems.

DoDidDont

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi all,

I had a few minor problems with this motherboard. I asked Asus technical support for the answers but the support agent answering my questions was completely useless, and gave me some completely stupid suggestions, so ended up solving the problems myself.

The problems I had, were that that Asus logo would appear three times, almost like resetting the system, and the Intel boot agent would appear two times before finally loading the O/S. The support agent suggested clearing the cmos, updating the bios and possible rma? Which I knew was complete rubbish, so didn’t attempt any of the suggestions. The first thing I did after the first power up, was update the bios first before installing the chipset drivers and O/S, so I knew his suggestions would not work, and I had already told him about the bios update. After a little research on Google, I found the answers. Turning off the marvell controller when no device is connected to the SCU, and turning boot seeking to normal instead of endless PXE solved the Asus logo problem, and Turning PXE functions off for the onboard LAN controllers solved the Intel boot agent problem.

This motherboard seems to be shipped with all the default jumper and bios setting set as a node rather than a standalone workstation. I think the majority of people buying this workstation board will not have any use for PXE, and remote functions, and will find the default settings for this motherboard annoying.

I built this system on the 20th of may, and everything went smoothly, from hardware installation, to O/S installation, updates, updates for updates, more updates for the updates…. You know how it is installing a new system :eek:) Anyway all the applications I use installed correctly. No errors, no update errors, no incompatibility problems, no blue screen or lock ups, and I have run several stress tests, and benchmarks, and everything is working correctly and has continued working correctly for the last 13 days.

My only problem left is that I cannot monitor the system from the desktop. I have tried installing the Asus ASWM and IPMI driver but I either get some message about it not being compatible with my operating system, or a message saying that the installation was interrupted and I need to re-run the installation, which I re-run with obvious results. I have lots of software already installed, 3ds max 2011, 2013, composite 2013, DWG, PhotoShop, Flash pro, DreamWeaver etc, all of which detect my operating system correctly, and run without any problems. I had to install lots of unnecessary applications like net framework updates, and windows features like IIS to get the ASWM install to run, only to find it doesn’t work. I have no need to check other systems remotely, so I don’t know why Asus do not package an offline hardware monitor with the MoBo.

I received my third email from the Asus agent dealing with my case today. I wont bother listing the other suggestions he made, as none of them were logically going to help with my problems. This time he is recommending to completely reinstall the O/S and drivers??? Where do they get this guys from??
It already took me two days to get the system, built, everything installed and updated, and the system configured the way I want it, and he wants me to do this, just so I can monitor my hardware from within the desktop when everything else is running perfectly?? Crazy. Only the ASWM has install problems, indicating a problem with the application, an install registry error, or something the application needs that is not enabled.

Hardware monitoring within the Bios works fine by the way.

I asked this agent in the beginning if I need the optional ASMB6-iKVM board installed for monitoring system temperature, voltages etc, which he has not answered several times. I have also asked if there are any jumper/bios setting that need changing i.e. PHC to BMC, or using UEFI etc.

Its really important to be able to monitor the hardware, especially when running in a new system, but I have not been able to get simple answers for the last 13 days, so I have asked to be transferred to a new agent and I am waiting on a response.

Sorry for the long post, but this is getting a little ridiculous. This is my first Asus workstation board, and in the past I have built systems on SuperMicro boards or owned HP workstations. To monitor hardware in these systems just takes a quick application install, none of this messing around. Other than this my system is working great, but I am worried about running the system at full load for many hours without being able to monitor CPU temps etc, so I really need a solution.

Hopefully someone has had this problem and solved it, or knows where I am going wrong, and if they do, there could be a job waiting for you at Asus technical support :eek:)

All this just to monitor system temps.. Rolls eyes.

One thing that I am not sure about is the UEFI feature. I read about it only after installing the O/S and it sounds like a good feature to have enabled. But can I just enable this in the bios without any issues, or should this have been done before O/S installation?

Thanks for any help in advance.

System Specs.

Asus Z9PE-D8 Mother board. Rev 1.04 Bios 0503.
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W CPU’s
64GB Hynix DDR3 1600MHz RAM.
2x GTX 580 3GB
Samsung 830 256GB SSD. Latest Firmware. (O/S & Apps)
WD 300GB Velociraptor (Project files form old system)
Seagate 2TB Sata3 (Storage)
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200w PSU.

1. Asus tech support is useless.
2. The apps they provide, are also useless. Don't install any.
3. A lot of us use CPUID to monitor the hardware temps.

DoDidDont

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi Soundguruman,

Thanks for that. I installed HWMonitor and it does the job. The readings in the bios do not quite match what HWMonitor puts out. Bios is saying my CPU temps at idle are 38C, HWM says 29C. I ran the CPU’s at full load for two hours and HWM reports the highest temp was 48C, so even if the actual temperature is 8 to 10C higher, its still within the comfort zone..

There is one reading that is a little scary, the CPUTIN which reads a constant 124C, but I looked this up on Google, and there are lots of HWM users that report the same problem. So hopefully its nothing to worry about.

I will probably have to open up a new thread about the UEFI question.

Cheers,

PhxTriode

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

PhxTriode

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Opps here is my post

I found this thread interesting. I have the same board but with

one E5-2687w (for the time being)
Cool Master TPC 812 (too big)
32gb Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz.
Quadro 6000
OCZ Vertex 4 512Gb (Os and programs)
2 256Gb 3gbs drives (RAID 0 Intel SCU)
Cosmos II
Lepa 1600w PSU

I have 4 1Tb 6Gbs drives to install ( 2 Raid 0 Marvel)

My first issue is this is my first build in 15 years. So to say the least I am learning as I go along. I have no clue on what some of the feature in the Bios does and the manual is less than useful in explaining.

The system is up and running and primary use will be for Adobe CS6, but I do not get the Asus Logo, I do get Intel RST dialog (showing the raid drives) but the boot agent loads twice.

Another thing that is od is he CPU when stressed only hit 3.4Ghz. Also when moving a 16Gb file from the SSD to the raid it start the transfer pretty quick then stalls out??

If it wouldnt be too much trouble could you share your bios settings for the CPU's and SATA ports? Also what CPU cooler are you using that clears tyhe RAM and doesn't block the 1st PCIE slot?

Thanks in advance
D.

mardus

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

I have MAJOR troubles with this board working with an msi gtx 690, meaning it does not work at all. In any pcie slots.
I also have a quadro 400 installed and the gtx 690 shows up in device manager with yellow exclamation mark (error 12 - not enough resources...) no matter what I do. The machine will only boot if the 690 is in the first or third PCIe slot (16x) or any even numbered PCIe (8x) slot (even numbered PCIe slots result in device manager error 43). 690 in pcie slot 5 / 7 results in no boot (led code 92). Also if I try to boot ONLY with the 690 installed, it goes through boot (led code 62) but does not show any picture.

Help!!

for cooling I use dual noctua nh-u12p se2 - fan only on one side (mem slots A-B and D-E are filled and the rams have high rads).

Some BIOS settings:
To get rid of the Asus logo you have to go to boot settings tab in BIOS and disable "full logo at boot", and to get rid of the PXE boot agent loading twice (once for both of your ethernet ports) disable the PXE setting in BIOS boot -> CMI settings (instead of disabling it on your network cards one by one). To disable the Marvel options loading at boot, disable the boot oprom in Marvel settings.

Can't comment on anything else because the system is not fully working (yet!).

kingofbytes

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Dodiddon't:

I'm having very similar issues as you are....almost exactly the same....weird BIOS screens, modifying the BIOS endlessly for fixes, can't have USB3 hard drive plugged in to boot properly, can't bypass a bootable CD without modding the BIOS, etc.

Once I'm in windows this thing screams.

I've installed the i6kvm card and it is NOT recognized. Reseating didn't help, bios doesn't see it.

I'll be reaching out to ASUS support, but they do seem useless. Have you figured out the asus way to hardware monitor (as opposed to HWMonitor)?

Shah Noori

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hi, this is not an answer to your post, but a QUESTION actually.
I have the same system as you do. My problem is that i can't get the GTX 580 drivers to work (both in SLI/non SLI modes). When i install nvidia drivers version 314.22 (newest) it works fine and give me a high res. screen, but once they are all done and ask me to RESTART, the system loses its GTX 580 drivers (goes back to a LOW RES screen).

How did you install your GTX 580 drivers on that asus motherboard?

My System:

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Mother board
Dual Intel Xeon E5-2687W CPUs
2 x GTX 580
256GB kingston SSD
Seagate 3TB Baracuda Hard Drive
Windows 7 Pro SP1