Sign in with
Your question

Update the BIOS without a Processor?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2012 2:11:09 PM

I bought an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard for my AMD Phenom ii X4 965 Black Edition Processor as my ASRock N68C-S UCC cannot support this Processor past 3.3Ghz and what I find is that the system cannot pass POST.

I did some research on the Motherboard and apparently, it only supports the 965 Processor (no mention of Black Edition) from BIOS ver. 2.01 and later. My Mobo has BIOS ver. 1.02 therefore this would explain why I'm unable to pass POST. The solution to this is clearly to update my BIOS but how do I go about this when the only AM3 Processor I have is incompatible? Is there a way to update my BIOS without a Processor or is my only solution to buy an older, supported AM3 Processor and then use that to update the BIOS so I can use my 965 BE. Sadly, I don't think there are any cheap AM3 Processors. Or at least less than £50.

Also, it was very odd but I did pass POST on one occasion. When I was reading my Motherboard manual, it stated that you shouldn't plug the Power Supply in any unparticular extension as it can prevent the Mobo from booting. I heeded that warning, plugged the Power Supply into a different socket and it passed POST. My PC then proceeded to try and finish the installation of a Windows 7 update, it had to reboot to continue the installation and then it rebooted once more and returned to its eternal slumber. When I switched the Motherboard back to the ASRock, I had to go through all this anyway so it's as if nothing had actually been done.

Help!

More about : update bios processor

June 1, 2012 2:40:34 PM

cesariono said:
I bought an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard for my AMD Phenom ii X4 965 Black Edition Processor as my ASRock N68C-S UCC cannot support this Processor past 3.3Ghz and what I find is that the system cannot pass POST.

I did some research on the Motherboard and apparently, it only supports the 965 Processor (no mention of Black Edition) from BIOS ver. 2.01 and later. My Mobo has BIOS ver. 1.02 therefore this would explain why I'm unable to pass POST. The solution to this is clearly to update my BIOS but how do I go about this when the only AM3 Processor I have is incompatible? Is there a way to update my BIOS without a Processor or is my only solution to buy an older, supported AM3 Processor and then use that to update the BIOS so I can use my 965 BE. Sadly, I don't think there are any cheap AM3 Processors. Or at least less than £50.

Also, it was very odd but I did pass POST on one occasion. When I was reading my Motherboard manual, it stated that you shouldn't plug the Power Supply in any unparticular extension as it can prevent the Mobo from booting. I heeded that warning, plugged the Power Supply into a different socket and it passed POST. My PC then proceeded to try and finish the installation of a Windows 7 update, it had to reboot to continue the installation and then it rebooted once more and returned to its eternal slumber. When I switched the Motherboard back to the ASRock, I had to go through all this anyway so it's as if nothing had actually been done.

Help!

Sorry about this. The reason why it booted before wasn't a fluke at all. There are these USB ports that I apparently, cannot use. There are two red ones and 4 plain-looking ones. I was using the plain ones. I just changed what USBs I was using and BAM, it's working!

My CPU Multiplier fluctuates between x4 and x7 so I still need to go through with a BIOS update but nonetheless, my problem has been resolved so please ignore the thread.
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 3:10:26 PM

Cpu multiplier is supposed to fluctuate, if the cpu is working fine I wouldn't bother with a bios update. You may brick the board and have more problems.
July 14, 2012 6:13:32 PM

Never update BIOS from Windows. Use DOS or the update method built into the BIOS if there.
!