Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First build question

Last response: in Systems
June 16, 2011 7:49:41 PM

I just finished my first build and something I did is concerning me. When mounting the cooler I put it on, took it off, and put it back in the correct position. When I took it off I noticed some of the thermal paste already got on the cpu. My question is is it still ok.

More about : build question

a b B Homebuilt system
June 16, 2011 8:19:29 PM

I'd go ahead redo the thermal paste. You have no way of telling if an air pocket formed in the paste when you removed and reseated the heat sink.

-Wolf sends
m
l
June 16, 2011 8:31:21 PM

I do not have any thermal paste though. I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2011 8:51:46 PM

My question is will it still run at reasonable temperatures.
edit: I just read in another forum that if the paste is new it is not necessary but would be helpful. If so I think I'm going to leave it alone.
m
l

Best solution

June 16, 2011 9:04:55 PM

You'll be fine, especially if you don't intend to overclock. One way to help is to slide the cpu cooler around just a bit to try (probably unsuccessfully) to work out the air pockets, the cooler should feel "stuck" to the cpu because of a slight vacuum is created.

If you plan to overclock you're not going to want to use the stock paste / cooler anyway :) .
June 16, 2011 9:06:09 PM

Also, I've seen stock speed Intels run with paste that only covered 50% of the cpu lol and horribly applied.
m
l
June 17, 2011 12:53:06 AM

I have an i3 so I can't overclock even if I wanted to. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:00:24 AM

just go to a radio shack and buy a small tube of arctic silver, less than $10 and better safe than sorry. Clean the old paste off with 91% alcohol n coffee filter. Clean it off, apply a small cross in the middle and slide heatsink back n forth after you tighten it down. Better safe than sorry.
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:37:02 AM

Ok then. I will have to what till tomorrow but for now the computer seems to be running fine installing updates. I'm will make sure all my fans are at full power for now. But if isn't completely necessary I think I will leave it be because I am a little nervous with handling thermal paste. That is one reason I stuck with the stock heatsink.
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:06:43 PM

Dont be nervous, its nothing. Just watch a tutorial on youtube. Just dont put too much on. Clean old stuff off w alcohol, let it dry n make sure its clean. Apply a pea size drop n make a cross w it using a clean piece of plastic. Apply heatsink, tighten, and turn heatsink side to side o few degrees to spread it out. Your temps will lower and you will increase the reliability n longevity of your cpu.
If on a budget try a cooler master 212+ (~$25). If not oc'n you wont need more than that. Just dooooo eeetttt! You will be fine, really. Good luck!
m
l
June 17, 2011 5:21:37 PM

Ok then. Also is there any free software to see the cpu temperature. I am curious to see what it is at right now.
m
l
June 17, 2011 5:27:41 PM

I don't know the rest of your system, or installed software, but you can monitor the temps and look for either outliers or consistent temps that are troubling high.

Do the rest of your components, like the GPU, tend to run hot? How is the airflow in the case?
m
l
June 17, 2011 6:26:22 PM

It is sitting around 33C right so I think I am fine for now. My build is an antec 300 illusion case, evga geforce gts 450 gpu, intel i3 andy bridge, carviar black hdd, gigabyte motherboard and g.skill ram. I wouldn't know if the gpu runs hot yet because I do not have any games for now.
Also I have another question. The video card has this sticker that says if removed voids warrenty. I just worry if I left it on ther it could catch fire if the gpu gets to hot.
m
l
June 18, 2011 2:19:28 AM

Also, what is a normal temperature for gaming, specifically left for dead 2.
m
l
June 18, 2011 3:42:11 AM

what with the mass AI i'd think L4D would be rather CPU intensive. I figure you'd probably be running 55, 60. maybe more if you OC. but that's in the DANGER ZONE.
m
l
June 18, 2011 4:50:00 AM

So 55 to 60 is fine. When the game finishes downloading I guess I will find out if I need to change out the thermal paste.
m
l
June 18, 2011 3:31:58 PM

if you're OCing you might see numbers higher than that, but that's right around where you should start getting worried, especially if you're running stock.
m
l
June 20, 2011 12:44:28 AM

well so far it seems the highest it has been during LFD2 is around 50 and during some demos I was playing 56, so I think I'm in the clear.
m
l
June 20, 2011 4:32:00 AM

that doesn't seem like anything to be worried about.
m
l
June 21, 2011 4:58:13 AM

Best answer selected by usbgtx550.
m
l
!