Nvidia GTX 470 HDMI out hiccups...

eightbit

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello all. First time posting here, although I have been lurking/using the forums for technical advice for quite some time now. Lots of great knowledge here and I am extremely grateful for it! But, I have now run into one that I just can't pin down, nor can I find a solution here. Maybe someone can help:

I recently (about 2 months ago) built a new system. Here are the specs:

i7 950 oc'ed to 4.0ghz stable (cooled with an H70)
ASUS Sabertooth x58
6GB OCZ PC1600 triple channel memory
Zotac GTX 470
64GB Intel SSD
2GB Hitachi 6.0gbps HD (x2, running at 6gbps through Marvel)
Corsair GS700 power supply
LG Bluray Burner (x2)

I'm no stranger to overclocking/adjusting timings and whatnot, and overall it runs very nicely and the cores never gets past 71 degrees celcius on max load (using Prime95)

Anyway, the issue I am having is these random hiccups watching video through the HDMI on the GTX 470. I have the DVI on the card occupied with my monitor of course, and the HDMI occupied with my Samsung 42 inch LCD.

If I watch any video (720 or 1080 x264 rips) on the PC without the HDMI active, they play smoothly and *never* hiccup. BUT, if I enable the HDMI (multiple displays in the Nvidia control panel) and watch a movie on the Samsung TV, it'll randomly "hiccup". Not often, but often enough to wonder what the heck is going on.

The hiccups are simply put either a one second freeze or a second or two of choppiness, but it happens so randomly I cannot track what is happening when this occurs. Sometimes it'll be 15 minutes into the movie....sometimes an hour in.

I tried everything I can think of. I disabled Aero, I disabled all power management features. I ended every running task I can see. I tried different players (MPC, VLC, PotPlayer) and even tried straight up Windows Media Player with CoreAVC (enabling Cuda). In every instance, the result is the same. Just a random hiccup on the HDMI side every time.

Is there something I am missing that anyone can think of? Does anybody know of a tool that will monitor the playback and log exactly what happens when the hiccup occurs? Again, on the DVI side (PC Monitor) I never experience a single hiccup. This only happens when I tv-out through the HDMI to watch movies on our LCD TV.

I should also add that I even went as far as doing a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 as well as a fresh install of Vista x64 and in each scenario it STILL does the same thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Download and run TechPowerUp GPU-Z.

On the Sensors tab page you can check the "Log to file" and "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background" check boxes.

Leave GPU-Z running on the monitor while you're watching the video over HDMI on the TV.

When you reach the point where the problem occurs you should be able to see what is happening in GPU-Z on your monitor with your graphics card.

eightbit

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Will do. In the meantime after I posted this I downloaded and installed v270.51 of the driver (beta) and it seems that it is no longer hiccuping. If it does it again, I will certainly take your advice and use CPU-Z. Thanks for the info!