Is my CPU hurting my GPU Performance?

Hello,
I currently have a amd phenom 9500 quad core 2.20 GHz CPU. MY GPU is a GTX 275. I am going to upgrade my GPU to maybe a GTX 560 as, my 275 is starting to act up.

My question is, Is my CPU hurting my video performance? I am an avid gamer.

Thanks for you help or pointing me in the right direction to see if I'm bottle-necking my system.
13 answers Last reply
More about hurting performance
  1. Your CPU will be a big bottlneck. Its running at a very low speed. If you can, I would go with a Phenom II 955 or 965 as well as a new GPU.

No need to choke your GTX560 with a slow CPU.
  2. Yes, you need a processor upgrade, your processor is barely running the video card you have now to it's potential, let alone your planned upgrade. The first generation Phenoms were simply not great processors in the first place, and 2.2ghz is slow for any gaming CPU.
  3. Great! Thanks for clearly that up guys, I had a hunch it was. I have a 650 PS and a 120g SSD. Guess it's time for Mobo and CPU upgrade...
  4. Tizom said:
    Great! Thanks for clearly that up guys, I had a hunch it was. I have a 650 PS and a 120g SSD. Guess it's time for Mobo and CPU upgrade...

Get AM3+, in preperation for BD release in a few weeks, and wait for BD, you might be able to get your hands on the hottest CPU around.:sol:
  5. Hmmm, As tempting as that is, I bet they will be super expensive when the first come out. I think I'll get a Phenom II 955 or 965. Looks like it will still be a huge upgrade for me. Is that a different socket than mine or can I use the same mobo? anyone know off the top of their head?

Maksym said:
    Get AM3+, in preperation for BD release in a few weeks, and wait for BD, you might be able to get your hands on the hottest CPU around.:sol:
  6. Tizom said:
    Hmmm, As tempting as that is, I bet they will be super expensive when the first come out. I think I'll get a Phenom II 955 or 965. Looks like it will still be a huge upgrade for me. Is that a different socket than mine or can I use the same mobo? anyone know off the top of their head?

Get 955, no need to waste on 965, it is exactly the same, just a slightest increase in frequency, which will disappear once you OC that baby. :ange:
  7. Nevermind, looks Like I have a AM2+ socket and the Phenom II 965 takes a AM3 socket.
  8. Tizom said:
    Hmmm, As tempting as that is, I bet they will be super expensive when the first come out. I think I'll get a Phenom II 955 or 965. Looks like it will still be a huge upgrade for me. Is that a different socket than mine or can I use the same mobo? anyone know off the top of their head?

Bulldozer will only run on AM3+ motherboards but Phenom II can run on AM2+, AM3 or AM3+. So if you plan to go for a new mobo and CPU and go with AMD, then go with a 955 or 965 and a AM3+ mobo. It wont cost too much more and then later you can upgrade to Bulldozer.

If you are doing new mobo/CPU you can also consider a Core i5 2500K and Z68 mobo but the cheapest route would be the 955/965 and a AM3+ mobo.
  9. Tizom said:
    Nevermind, looks Like I have a AM2+ socket and the Phenom II 965 takes a AM3 socket.

Here comes the beauty of AMD processors, they are backwards compatible. :sol:

Try doing that on Intel - good luck.
  10. Maksym said:
    Here comes the beauty of AMD processors, they are backwards compatible. :sol:

Try doing that on Intel - good luck.

Thats not 100% true. Bulldozer will only work on AM3+ sockets, Phenom II will work on AM2+, AM3 and AM3+ sockets since it has a DDR2 and DDR3 controller but a Athlon 64 X2 will not work on AM3 because it does not have a DDR3 controller.

Intel does two generations per socket. LGA1155 will have Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge just as LGA775 had Kentsfield and Yorksfield.
  11. Would it be worth stepping up to the X6 series? How much of an upgrade would it be? It's not to much more.
  12. Tizom said:
    Would it be worth stepping up to the X6 series? How much of an upgrade would it be? It's not to much more.

Nah, unless you are crazy multi-tasking, but most programs and games are optimized for dual core, so quad would be on overkill alraedy for an average user.
  13. What kind of motherboard do you guys like to go with that 955? And do you think 8Gs of RAM will do?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs Performance