Sign in with
Your question

[Display] LED vs non-LED

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2011 8:18:41 PM

After weeks of research and learning about the different things to look for I'm torn between these two monitors:

ASUS VE247H 23.6IN Widescreen LED LCD Monitor 1920X1080 2MS 10M1DC HDMI DVI-D VGA Speakers
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57310&vpn=VE247H&manufact...

ASUS VH236H 23 Widescreen LCD Monitor Black 1920X1080 16:9 2MS 20000:1DC HDMI DVI VGA With Speakers
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=38845&vpn=VH236H&manufact...

The one difference between them is LED backlight. I read a bit on the differences on google but I want to hear from someone who knows about it.

Please advise on which one would you choose?

Thanks,

P.S. I'm still enjoying the Graphics Card that I bought with advise from this community, thanks again guys. :) 

More about : display led led

a c 256 U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 8:25:50 PM

I have both and to me the LED backlight causes less eyestrain. Might just be that it is newer than my LCD but to me it does blacks better as well.
m
l
a c 362 U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 8:27:52 PM

Those monitors use WLEDs which are actually blue LEDs with a yellowish phosphor layer to imitate white. This can sometimes lead to slightly bluish white backlight which can throw off all colors. You can adjust for it, but if color accuracy is a high priority, then you may not like it. Besides all "LED monitors" use TN panels which are not known for high color accuracy anyway.

Many people who own a LCD monitor with LED backlight report that the backlight is white so chances are the "blue shift" is not noticeable in most cases.
m
l
Related resources
a c 362 U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 8:34:34 PM

anort3 said:
I have both and to me the LED backlight causes less eyestrain. Might just be that it is newer than my LCD but to me it does blacks better as well.

Actually some people who complain about eyestrain find that LED backlight causes more eyestrain because the brightness is controlled by PWM (pulse width modulation). Basically the lower the brightness the more the LED backlight flickers to reduce brightness. Theoretically speaking at full brightness there should be no PWM, but the brighter the screen the more eyestrain. But people who are susceptible to the effects of PWM will find that lowering the brightness makes eyestrain just as bad or worse.

"Full brightness" on a LED backlight may still use some level of PWM to reduce the brightness because it without PWM it might actually be too bright and affect the lifespan of the LEDs.
m
l
Anonymous
April 3, 2011 8:41:14 PM

Ive a led 1920x1080 and Non led HP 1920x1080, I use the HP for Photoshop as Color is better, and the LEd for everything else, games just look so much better on the LED monitor!
m
l
a c 362 U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 8:44:50 PM

^^^

I have yet to be impressed by LED backlight.
m
l
April 3, 2011 8:50:31 PM

Awesome, thanks for all your replies. By the way, is it a solid choice or are there cheaper monitors with the same spec?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 9:14:11 PM

Maksym said:
Awesome, thanks for all your replies. By the way, is it a solid choice or are there cheaper monitors with the same spec?

I own the ASUS 23.5 inch with LED backlighting and I've found it to be superior in every way to my 22in acer. The first thing I noticed was the brightness and clarity, its brighter than any other LCD I've ever worked with. That is a good thing, and I haven't had any issues with eye strain.

It is a very nice monitor for gaming. The only possible shortcoming I think is that coming from a 22 inch panel, it is not much bigger. It seems to be a bit wider than the other, but not more real estate vertically. Anyway I highly recommend this panel for price/performance value.
m
l
April 3, 2011 10:33:13 PM

buzznut said:
I own the ASUS 23.5 inch with LED backlighting and I've found it to be superior in every way to my 22in acer. The first thing I noticed was the brightness and clarity, its brighter than any other LCD I've ever worked with. That is a good thing, and I haven't had any issues with eye strain.

It is a very nice monitor for gaming. The only possible shortcoming I think is that coming from a 22 inch panel, it is not much bigger. It seems to be a bit wider than the other, but not more real estate vertically. Anyway I highly recommend this panel for price/performance value.

Thanks a lot, I will go ahead and get one tomorrow.

I'm not a vivid gamer but I play Starcraft 2 occasionally and I find my Samsung 940B to be quite bad. My video card can put out much juice but my monitor is bottlenecking the power. With this monitor I can unleash the beast. :lol: 
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 3, 2011 10:51:27 PM

While on the topic, has anyone ever run the nvidia monitor calibration tool on an lcd? it just doesnt work and leaves you with a horrible picture if you try to use it. From the first step of setting up brightness it just cant be done, you put the brightness all the way to the bottom and there is still a noticeable difference between the darkest black rectangle and the background. Do any LCD's work with this properly?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 12:04:19 AM

Jaguar, several (Asus, LG, NEC, and others) companies just came out with LED backlight monitors with e-IPS panels and under $300. Just wanted to let everyone know there are more options. However note that these panels still have their own set of problems (though surprisingly ghosting is not one of them).
m
l
a c 362 U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 12:13:29 AM

Depends on the monitor panel type.

Most people buy TN panel LCD monitors because they are relatively inexpensive. This type of panel can only create 256k actual colors. Using temporal dithering TN panels can blend up to 16.7m colors. The results are generally decent, but TN panel monitors generally has issues with subtle color differences.

More expensive LCD monitors using VA or IPS panels usually do not have this problem because they can truly create 16.7m colors.
m
l
a c 362 U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 12:21:39 AM

EXT64 said:
Jaguar, several (Asus, LG, NEC, and others) companies just came out with LED backlight monitors with e-IPS panels and under $300. Just wanted to let everyone know there are more options. However note that these panels still have their own set of problems (though surprisingly ghosting is not one of them).

Those monitors use 6-bit e-IPS panels that can only create 256k actual colors and must use temporal dithering to blend up to 16.7m colors. Exactly how a TN panel operates.

Overall these e-IPS panels are better than TN panel monitors, but they also share some issues with TN panel monitors. This includes some color banding issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 4, 2011 12:29:20 AM

Yep, I think the main gain is viewing angle (which is very nice). I sure wish they'd switch over to the better LCDs. My projector uses the 10 bit panels which give very impressive visual quality.
m
l
!