Toshiba M30X WiFi problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 12:00:53 AM

Hi.
My Toshiba restarts itself always when running on Wireles Lan. It happens
about every two hours. I had the notebook repaired (mainboard changed), but
it did not help. I am wondering, if this could be a general Toshiba
Satellite M hardware problem. Not many people use WiFi nowadays, that is why
they may not notice the problem. Do you have any idea what this could be?
Does anybody have such problems with new (i.e. centrino) Toshibas? I have
been thinking about returning this notebook and getting new model instead.
I like Toshibas. But I would like to make shure, the problem will not happen
again.
Yawn
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 12:00:54 AM

Yawn wrote:

>Hi.
>My Toshiba restarts itself always when running on Wireles Lan. It happens
>about every two hours. I had the notebook repaired (mainboard changed), but
>it did not help. I am wondering, if this could be a general Toshiba
>Satellite M hardware problem. Not many people use WiFi nowadays, that is why
>they may not notice the problem. Do you have any idea what this could be?
>Does anybody have such problems with new (i.e. centrino) Toshibas? I have
>been thinking about returning this notebook and getting new model instead.
>I like Toshibas. But I would like to make shure, the problem will not happen
>again.
>Yawn

Could be an overheating problem?
June 12, 2005 1:25:59 AM

Yawn <yawn@gazeta.pl> wrote:
: Hi.
: My Toshiba restarts itself always when running on Wireles Lan. It happens
: about every two hours. I had the notebook repaired (mainboard changed), but
: it did not help. I am wondering, if this could be a general Toshiba
: Satellite M hardware problem. Not many people use WiFi nowadays, that is why
: they may not notice the problem.

Are you kidding??? WiFi use has exploded, at least where I live,
Portland, Oregon, USA, where there are dozens of free public WiFi hot
spots, and lots of people use them. I'm sure there are lots of people
with the M30X laptops use Wifi. I have not heard of such problems.

: Do you have any idea what this could be?
Does anybody have such problems with new (i.e. centrino) Toshibas? I have
: been thinking about returning this notebook and getting new model instead.
: I like Toshibas. But I would like to make shure, the problem will not happen
: again.

It could be a hardware problem, but I wouldn't count out a Windows
problem. Have you done a Windows Update to get all the lateset
Windows patches and fixes? I would do that first.

Then go to Toshiba's website and see if there are driver updates and
an updated BIOS for your laptop. If there are, install them.

To eliminate the hardware, go here and get the Ultimate Boot CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You can get an ISO file, burn that to CD, then boot the CD and run one
of the dianostic utilities. Try running Memtest overnight or one of
the burn-in utilities, which will stress the CPU. If the computer
doesn't re-boot overnight, it's probably a Windows, not a hardware
problem.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

I just got a Toshiba A75-S211 as a gift. Does this notebook have
grounding problems?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 7:08:09 AM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:00:53 +0200, "Yawn" <yawn@gazeta.pl> wrote:

:>Hi.
:>My Toshiba restarts itself always when running on Wireles Lan. It happens
:>about every two hours. I had the notebook repaired (mainboard changed), but
:>it did not help. I am wondering, if this could be a general Toshiba
:>Satellite M hardware problem. Not many people use WiFi nowadays, that is why
:>they may not notice the problem. Do you have any idea what this could be?
:>Does anybody have such problems with new (i.e. centrino) Toshibas? I have
:>been thinking about returning this notebook and getting new model instead.
:>I like Toshibas. But I would like to make shure, the problem will not happen
:>again.
:>Yawn
:>

You said you had the mainboard replaced. Did they also replace the top
cover (palmrest)? The M30X series (and the A70 series) both made by Compal
for Toshiba shipped with a serious design flaw. The speaker covers and the
touchpad were not grounded. Moving your hands over those areas can generate
ESD which jumps to the mainboard. Typical symptoms are random lockups and
shutdowns. Toshiba put out an issue alert to all the service centers back
in January and there is also a public posting on their website that
describes the problem on those models. They don't tell you exactly what is
causing the problem so I just did. :-)

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 9:02:09 AM

On 11 Jun 2005 21:26:33 -0700, pickin-1@sbcglobal.net wrote:

:>I just got a Toshiba A75-S211 as a gift. Does this notebook have
:>grounding problems?

The first two digits of the serial number indicate the month and year of
manufacture. For example 25xxxxxxxx indicates it was manufactured in
February of 2005. Supposedly all of the A70 series and M35X series
manufactured AFTER January of 2005 already have the updated top cover.

Good luck,
me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 8:01:24 PM

Uzytkownik "me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> napisal w wiadomosci
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:00:53 +0200, "Yawn" <yawn@gazeta.pl> wrote:
> You said you had the mainboard replaced. Did they also replace the top
> cover (palmrest)? The M30X series (and the A70 series) both made by
> Compal
> for Toshiba shipped with a serious design flaw. The speaker covers and
> the
> touchpad were not grounded. Moving your hands over those areas can
> generate
> ESD which jumps to the mainboard. Typical symptoms are random lockups and
> shutdowns. Toshiba put out an issue alert to all the service centers back
> in January and there is also a public posting on their website that
> describes the problem on those models. They don't tell you exactly what
> is
> causing the problem so I just did. :-)
>
> me/2

Thank you all for you help.
I read about the problems you mentioned.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...
But mine seems to be different. The notebook restarts no matter whether I
touch it or not. It just restarts 4 - 6 times a day, even when I am away.
Actually I stopped believing any repair would help. I have been using
Toshibas for many years. But since I realised, they made so many defective
models (see the link above) I will probably never buy Toshiba again. This
restarting is very annoying and might by damaging for the other hardware.
Thank you once again
Yawn
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2005 8:53:37 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:01:24 +0200, "Yawn" <yawn@gazeta.pl> wrote:

[...]
:>>
:>> me/2
:>
:>Thank you all for you help.
:>I read about the problems you mentioned.
:>http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...
:>But mine seems to be different. The notebook restarts no matter whether I
:>touch it or not. It just restarts 4 - 6 times a day, even when I am away.
:>Actually I stopped believing any repair would help. I have been using

Keep in mind that if the mainboard was replaced and you still have the
original top cover then there's a good chance the new mainboard has also
been damaged by the ESD.

:>Toshibas for many years. But since I realised, they made so many defective
:>models (see the link above) I will probably never buy Toshiba again. This

Unfortunately the majority of the Toshiba models that have had serious
problems like this are not made by Toshiba. They're manufactured by Compal
with Toshiba's name on them. The biggest mistake Toshiba has made in the
last few years was setting up with Compal to manufacture the consumer level
notebooks. There have been lots and lots of horror stories of problems
people have had with the Compal built units. BTW, these horror stories
aren't limited to Toshiba since Compal builds the low end notebooks for just
about every major manufacturer. For example when you read messages about
hinges starting to bind and cracking the lcd covers you can almost guarantee
that whatever notebook they have it was built by Compal. Most other
notebooks have hinges that start to get loose over time which is what you
would expect.

:>restarting is very annoying and might by damaging for the other hardware.
:>Thank you once again
:>Yawn

You're welcome and good luck whichever way you decide to go.

me/2
June 12, 2005 9:59:59 PM

me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
: Keep in mind that if the mainboard was replaced and you still have the
: original top cover then there's a good chance the new mainboard has also
: been damaged by the ESD.

ESD would zap an integrated circuit and ruin it - the computer
wouldn't run for two hours before rebooting. The grounding problem
with a few models of Toshiba laptop may not have been an ESD problem.

I still say to the original poster: get UBCD, boot it, and run
Memtest and CPU stress tests overnight and see if the computer keeps
running. If so, it's probably a windows issue.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

U¿ytkownik "Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci
> me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> : Keep in mind that if the mainboard was replaced and you still have the
> : original top cover then there's a good chance the new mainboard has also
> : been damaged by the ESD.
>
> ESD would zap an integrated circuit and ruin it - the computer
> wouldn't run for two hours before rebooting. The grounding problem
> with a few models of Toshiba laptop may not have been an ESD problem.
>
> I still say to the original poster: get UBCD, boot it, and run
> Memtest and CPU stress tests overnight and see if the computer keeps
> running. If so, it's probably a windows issue.
>
> Andrew

But restarting happens ONLY while using WiFi. If I do what you suggested -
on a boot CD - it surely will not restart. Because WiFi will be off. It
doesn't seem like software issue to me. It it were, Toshiba service would
have probably noticed it. And they exchanged the mainboard immediately. I
mean - they decided to exchange it immediately, but it took them a month
;-).
Still, I have of course done all the updates and so on. And I have the
newest available drivers. I will do the test you suggested. But like I said,
I don't expect it to help.
!