Solved

Was told by GSkill not many cpu can handle 16GB (4x4) ram

Hello, I brought this last month because of a great deal Am I limited on choices because of that deal? Still am not sure if I want to go intel or Amd.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about told gskill handle 16gb
  1. cant see why you cant run them ok--i have all 6 slots filled on my motherboard --my board is triple channel you would want dual channel for 4 x 4gb--cpu depends on budget--if you have a high budget then the second generation i7 sandybridge if you have a lower budget then the amd
  2. The motherboard is going to be more of a limiting factor than the CPU. However, it's possible that the the CPU will cause the RAM to underclock to 1333MHz. It's tough to answer based on the non-info you provided.
  3. Best answer
    the guy asked so clearly and wants a clear answer, any Quad core or Hexa core from AMD or Intel will handle the 16 GB if your motherboard supports Capacity up to 16 GB
    if you want to add more (24GB) in this case you'll need a server or a workstation machine with at least 12 Core AMD Opteron processor to handle this amount
  4. Best answer selected by irishred.
  5. ilysaml said:
    the guy asked so clearly and wants a clear answer, any Quad core or Hexa core from AMD or Intel will handle the 16 GB if your motherboard supports Capacity up to 16 GB
    if you want to add more (24GB) in this case you'll need a server or a workstation machine with at least 12 Core AMD Opteron processor to handle this amount

Thank you! I got my question answered clearly by you.
  6. why do you wanna get that much of RAM then :) ?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs