Gskill informed me not many cpu can handle 16GB(4x4GB)

irishred

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Is that true? I brought this last month because of a great deal and am planning to do a little more than hobby video editing. I still am undecided on a intel or amd. I just want to mulitask, download, little gaming without having to wait for everything to load up.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

beenthere

Distinguished
The CPU can handle whatever memory is available to it. This can be limited by the O/S.

There is little advantage in 16 GB. of RAM unless you have a true need for it. Video editing is a potential use of 16 GB. of RAM depending on the O/S and software you use. More RAM allows you to open more applications without swapping files back and forth from the HD.

No matter how much RAM you have you'll still need to wait for programs to load but they might be marginally faster with more RAM.

AMD Bulldozer based Zambezi CPUs use 1866 Mhz. RAM by default. So if you're buying RAM this is what you need.

irishred

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
My computer is running very slow. When I say slow load times, I'm not exaggerating. It's take about 45 sec. each time I click on a web page, refresh, etc. I just figure it's getting old (almost 8 years old) I've done so much trouble shooting that I decided to either upgrade some parts or build a new computer. I already starting to buy parts like the rams mentioned above, hard drives, an ssd, blu ray dvd burner, but now I'm getting to the parts where I have to decide intel or amd.
I want video editing (the reason for 16GB ram). I'm not into obsessive gaming but would like to play wow now and then.

popatim

Titan
The amount of ram a system is able to use is determined by the memory controller and motherboard. On newer processors the memory controller is built into the processor and on older ones its built into the northbridge. That is why if you look up say an intel e5700 it does not list the max supported memory but an i3 does.
The motherboard manufactuer may further restrict the maximum supported memory by such things like eliminating address lines, ddr slots, support for double sided ram.. etc. So please always check your motherboards documentation for this, espically with AMD boards as the AM3 socket has a 16gb max limit anyways.

16Gb is fine for video editing. Whats also important is multiple drives. See you favoritie editing program forums for a recommended stup but it usually involves a seperate OS drive, data drive, and scratch/work drive. (drive or arrays that is).

More cores is usually welcomed also, again see your softwares support to see if they support 4 or more cores. A thuban (amd x6) does a fair job for a cheap processor.

If video editing a 2500K is a great buy right now, with a Z68 mobo so you can use QuickSync, which is very fast for encoding. But if you want fast load times, more RAM is not the real answer. What you want is a SSD that can utilize the SATA 6 connection to its fullest. I have a SATA 3 Intel SSD and its the fastest thing I have ever used. Windows loads in less than 7 seconds and apps load fast.

As for memory, A Z68 mobo will handle up to 32GB of RAM. The CPUs can allocate well above that. G.Skill is not my prefered brand either way but I have built plenty of systems at work, AMD and Intel, that have 16GB of some mid end Super Talent RAM and they run with no issues. The thing is though you want to install Windows with as little RAM as possible then after its installed add the rest. I had issues when it tried to install 7 on 16GB of RAM.

Not sure why you keep telling people to wait for Bulldozer instead of helping them with their current issue.