Looking for Low (idle) Power Graphics Card

tomshardware486

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm going to be upgrading from G41 platform to X58. I'm looking for a graphics card that has low idle power consumption (don't care how much power it consumes while gaming). I'm looking in the $50 range at cards such as ATI 4350, 4650, and 4850 as well as nVidia GTX 210. Is there much of a difference in idle power consumption among these cards (assume all passively cooled). I assume power scales with number of processing cores. I'm set on the X58 platform....already have the CPU.

If your primary concern is extremely low idle power consumption, then consider the GT 430:

gb430_power.png

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gigabyte-geforce-gt430_4.html#sect0

You definitely do not want the HD 4850 since that uses around 50w of power when idling (from what I remember).

tomshardware486

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

I was given the CPU...I mostly plan to use the computer for running machine learning algorithms and a distributed computing project (Rosetta@Home). Fast GPU not needed...yet.

@jaguarskx, thanks for the links. It does look like the 5000 series consumes less power at idle than the 4000 series. Actually, it looks comparable to integrated graphics at idle.