Sign in with
Your question

Usb 3.0 front panel question

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2012 4:39:49 PM

I bought this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and it came with a usb 3.0 front panel but the case i bought already came with one installed so i plugged that one in. But i don't see any other spots to use this second front panel. Is there a way to plug this second one into something else or should i just keep it as a spare?
a c 238 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 5:00:52 PM

The supplied usb3.0 front panel is intended to be used by those who have a case without any usb3.0 ports already installed.
Just keep it, you have no real use for it.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 5:11:46 PM

You have 2xUSB 3.0 for the front panel. You have a couple options:
1. Purchase, IF you want 4xUSB 3.0, a 'pass-through' USB 3.0 to 20-pin adapter and connected to the e.g. Intel USB @ the rear MOBO I/O <or>
2. Purchase, IF you want it all internal, a USB 2.0 Header adapter to 20-pin USB 3.0 where the USB will run at USB 2.0 speeds <or>
3. Not use the ASRock USB 3.0 Front Panel and keep it as a spare.

Specs - http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extre...
- 2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by IntelĀ® Z77, support USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
- 2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by Etron EJ168A, support USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
- 1 x Front USB 3.0 header by IntelĀ® Z77 (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports), supports USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2012 5:12:52 PM

geofelt said:
The supplied usb3.0 front panel is intended to be used by those who have a case without any usb3.0 ports already installed.
Just keep it, you have no real use for it.

Thanks for the help. Do you have any ideas what i should use the space for then? I have blu ray drive at the top then a fan controller. But then i have two empty slots and then the front panel usb. Should i try unscrewing the usb and moving it up?
m
l
a c 238 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 5:17:38 PM

Bob94 said:
Thanks for the help. Do you have any ideas what i should use the space for then? I have blu ray drive at the top then a fan controller. But then i have two empty slots and then the front panel usb. Should i try unscrewing the usb and moving it up?

Why bother?
Cases come with covers for empty front panel slots.
Most people will just leave nused slots unocupied.
If ergonomics suits you to shift them around, then OK.

If you are intent on filling the spaces, you can put a multi sd card adapter, or perhaps a mobile dock in the spaces.
m
l
June 1, 2012 5:31:05 PM

geofelt said:
Why bother?
Cases come with covers for empty front panel slots.
Most people will just leave nused slots unocupied.
If ergonomics suits you to shift them around, then OK.

If you are intent on filling the spaces, you can put a multi sd card adapter, or perhaps a mobile dock in the spaces.

I'll just leave the usb as is, it looks fine when i think about it. Plus if i add another drive under it a usb cable might be blocking it. I bought a multi sd card reader but it uses usb. What's the use of having more than one blu ray drive?
m
l
!