Socket LGA 775 CPU upgrade

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hello,
I am currently running a Pentium 4 530 3.0Ghz (Prescott) core on a Gigabyte Technology 8I915P Duo Pro mainboard, with socket LGA 775 (T). I wish to upgrade to a 64 bit processor. I noticed that some of the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad CPU's match with the 775 socket, but may or may not work with my board. I searched on the "CPU Upgrade" website and found several models of the aforementioned processor families that are under the designation "not tested". Not conclusive, but I did notice that my current processor is also in the "not tested" category for this board. Where else can I get reliable CPU/Motherboard compatibility info? I kind of would like to stick with this board, as I have been slowly upgrading other components for relatively cheap; also, I do not want to throw out equipment that could still have some life. Thank you much.
Eric.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Nevermind, I just discovered the "Gigabyte Guide" elsewhere in this forum. It seems the only 64-bit processors my board will support are lowly Celeron CPU's (only 512KB of L2, no way!), and some versions of Pentium 4 (531 and above). Sigh. I guess I'll have to join modern society and get a new motherboard.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
according by site gigabyte your mobo support all Core 2 Quad CPU and core 2 duo CPU : http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=1801

Yes, I was viewing the same page, but most of those processors listed have the "N/A" designation. Thanks anyway.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah, I saw that one also, on the Gigabyte page it shows my mobo as only supporting the Celeron version with only 256KB L2, and some P4's; funny how quickly equipment becomes obsolete, even with the right socket. I think I will have to go all out and get something that supports an i5 or i7 while I'm at it. Thank you!