Computer starts then restarts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SN0W__M0NSTER

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hi, I recently have had this weird "problem" (sometimes) where I start my computer normally (press the power button) and it starts but, my screen does not go on? My computer is then running with no screen on for about 5-10 seconds and then the computer shuts-down, after the fans have stopped (usually 5 seconds) it starts up again and everything usually works perfect after that?

I am using RAID 0 with (2) the Mushkin Enchanced Chronos 120GB and my mother board is ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 graphics card is EVGA Classified 580 all BIOS are up to date (pretty sure)

HELP

Solution
I have seen this half a dozen times and had it disappear on its own. Other times I found errors or wrong entries in BIOS.....most often fixed by turning off XMP profile and entering RAM data manually.
It sounds to me like the motherboard is going through bios recovery. Possibly trying to find a ram setting that works.
Is your ram supported, either on the motherboard qvi list, or the ram vendor's configurator?
There is negligible benefit to overclocking ram, or even forcing it to run faster than default values.

Also, for what it is worth, I would not run the two ssd's in raid-0. You will lose trim capability for no useful performance gain in normal work. Synthetic sequential benchmarks will shine, but that is not what we actually do.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
This has happened to me during the winter months here in canada, I sometimes chill my room by leaving the window open. If the computer is off while the room becomes cold, and then I try to turn on my pc, it does exactly what you are experiencing. It never occurs during the spring/summer months or when the room is warm. Maybe your PC is too cold :)

SN0W__M0NSTER

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Well it just got worse it restarted about 10 times and then finally the screen went on and I went to the BIOS and checked stuff out and then saved. After saving it restarted again but then it took another 10 automatic restarts until it just didn't restart automatically and stayed off. I hit the on button and it restarted once then back to normal?

It has never restarted that many times? BTW my RAM is http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Redline/996982.aspx it is not shown on my motherboards RAM support list but I don't think that is the "problem"...

How can I set the RAM settings manually not using XMB?

Thank you.

SN0W__M0NSTER

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Restarted about 6 times before finally starting and came up with the message "computer failed to boot several times" "go to setup press f2 or delete" "or uefi will boot in 5...4...etc" and it booted?

HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.