HD5850 Problem

nvd

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello, I am having a strange problem. Bought a new mother board ASUS P5P41T LE with Corsair DDR3 (4 GB). The graphics card used with the setup is HD5850 (ATI). With my old motherboard (MSI P4N SLI), I could play Far Cry 2 with full detail without any problem (2 GB of RAM through 3 RAM sticks; 1 G, 500 M, 500 M). But the new motherboard is giving lower FPS. The game is jerky but sometimes, it stops skipping frames and everything is OK. I thought that GPU is dropping frames after heating up and thus set the fan speed to full without any success. The processor is Intel Pentium D 830. Is it the compatibility issue between the Processor and the DDR3? When the frame rate drops, I hear faint squealing sound from the GPU.

No compatibility issue because the RAM controller is on the motherboard.

That's a hard problem to diagnose, but there is a possibility your new motherboard draws more power and your PSU is struggling. What's your +12V amperage?

Heat? Maybe...it could be throttling down. Run HWMonitor and see what kind of temps your GPU hits (min & max). Run the Furmark test to check temps. Shut it down if they get too high (much over 90'C is too high). Most GPUs don't throttle until 105'C or so.

I'd think that a Pentium D of any sort would bottleneck a 5850 frequently. Out of curiousity, what resolution do you play at?

You mean a Q6600? The two of those I've OC'd go to 3.0GHz @ stock volts (manual settings).

Q9400's OC very well too with a decent mobo, in my experience.

Typically, I'd recommend a complete new build for a Pentium D, but seen as you have a new motherboard...a Core 2 Quad (socket 775 is the key) is probably your best path.

Q6600's are probably cheapest, but they all seem around the same pricewise on ebay. Check here for gaming differences: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-recommended-processor,2895-5.html

The cheaper the better and the rest should go to a good PSU and second 5850 or better monitor. It all depends on your budget, what you'd do with your current system (like if you could sell it or give it to your little brother or something?).

What's your PSU and what's your +12V amperage?

how can it be the cpu if it was fine before he upgraded ram and motherboard? i know the cpu is still a bottleneck, but it wasnt happening before the motherboard/ram upgrade. First thing you should do is remove all the drivers from the old motherboard and download and install the latest drivers for the new motherboard. see if that helps. If there is a noise coming from the GPU now and wasnt before then maybe there is a fault with the new motherboard.

G

Did you do a fresh windows re-install, if not, there is your problem!

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
With any motherboard change a lot of variables get added. It wasnt clear if you were using a 5850 prior to this swap? Did anything else change (heat sink, chassis, etc)? Did you reuse the PSU? Did you do a fresh reinstall of windows (which one?) and drivers?

Run GPUz to monitor the 5850 temps to remove that as an issue quickly.

Squealing from the GPU tends to be a PSU issue....

This is solvable...

nvd

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
The PSU is powerful enough as I think. It is Corsair CX600 (600 Watts) and has been bough a month ago. I have tried FurMark and Unigine Heaven. FurMark performs as good as before but Unigine Heaven is jerky.

I have noticed that Far Cry 2 switches to full FPS for a while and then, everything gets jerky again. Seems like some sort of variable frequency of CPU or GPU. Tried to disable / enable Intel Speed Step but of no use. Tried with higher GPU and GDDR frequencies but the same problem; full FPS for a while and then the game gets jerky.

I am playing at 1920 * 1080 with full detail. With lower detail, FPS rise.

Temperature of GPU is under control. Even tried with full speed of fan but of no use.

Is it because of RAM that is alone? - single DDR mode or whatever it is called. RAM speed is 1300 MHz and it is running at 800 MHz now; same as the CPU FSB speed. Can it be the cause?

I did a fresh install of XP and still the problem persists. Even tried previous drivers for the GPU. Seems like a compatibility issues with the mother board. Upgraded the BIOS to the latest version but still I get the message that you must upgrade the BIOS to unleash the full power of the processor.

It used to take nearly a minute before the BIOS post messages would show using the old mother board.
With the new motherboard, it takes 10 minutes!

I found another thread on this site with people complaining about this issue. So I assume that the mother board is not faulty. I have to decide quickly as I have 15 days return policy.

Today, I just decided to remove the new mother board and pack it up and use the old mother board as the performance has just degraded.

I know that CPU is the bottle neck and that' why I upgraded as the old mother board does not support newer CPUs. I can buy a new CPU but I need to confirm if there is compatibility issue with HD5850 and newer motherboards. Otherwise, I would be returning all the stuff back.

Which Core 2 Quad is better? Is cache size more important or the core speed? Which parameter should I look for?
Currently, I have the following options (used ones on the local bidding site):

Q8200
Q9550
Q6600

And how is the reputation of Asus P5P41T LE? Is it a good motherboard?

I can post more information from CPU-Z if needed.

I wrote a nice response to the start of your message, but when I found out you could return it the start was irrelevant.

Get your money back by returning that motherboard and save up for an upgrade to a modern computer. Socket 775 is dead and the Core 2 Quads are overpriced and old. The Q9550 is by far the best of those three, but still a terrible buy.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR SOCKET 775. Do not buy a motherboard. Do not buy a CPU. Do not buy DDR2 RAM. It's great that everything is still returnable.

How much money are you willing to spend? What parts do you currently have (case, monitor, HDD, RAM, etc.)? How much was your 5850 because you can get a 5870 for $180 on Newegg most of the time? Am I correct in my assumption that gaming is the focus of your build?

If you did not buy your RAM at Newegg, then you can probably get it cheaper at Newegg.

I dont agree with much but i totally agree with this. Why on earth would you look into an old socket 775 core 2 quad setup now? return everything and go with AMD and get yourself a new motherboard and phenom 2 x4 955 or something, you will save money and have a faster system.

You know (this is especially true if there's a microcenter nearby), an i3-2100 build costs the same (or less) and performs better in games as a Phenom II x4 955. You'd need a 3.7GHz Phenom II x4 to match the gaming performance (Tom's SB i3 review benchies say this).

All Phenom II's can do 3.7GHz, but if you're not getting a Bulldozer compatible motherboard, an LGA 1155 board might be pretty nice to have. Also, Sandy Bridge can do Crossfire AND SLI.

nvd

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. I think, I should return the stuff and go for the newer CPUs and motherboards.

I bought HD5850 from my friend for 138$.

I have not shopped from www.Newegg.com as I have to look into the shipping charges to Sweden. It seems that HD5850 has some issues at boot-up with motherboards.
Thus, I may opt for a newer GPU as well when I upgrade.

My currently allocated budget for motherboard, CPU and RAM is 250$. I'll have to dig in to see if I can get a good gaming machine with this budget.

BTW I paid 125$ for the motherboard and 4 GB DDR3 as I bought the stuff from a Danish company, Proshop.

For the time being, I should play the supported games. When done, upgrade time. :sol:

Things might be cheaper then as well.

The 5850's a solid card that you got for a good price and can do very high settings on 1680x1050. You could upgrade, but it's really not necessary. I'd upgrade all other parts first.

Amazon.com tends to vary greatly in shipping prices between sellers of the same item. I suggest you throw the item you want in your cart, proceed through checkout to see what shipping is, then go back to Amazon.com and continue filling your cart.

For $270, you should either get:
1) i3-2100, P67/H61/H67 mobo, & 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 (2x2GB)
or
2) Phenom II x4 955, ASRock 870 Extreme 3 AM3 mobo, & 4GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 (2x2GB)

I'd go with the i3-2100 & a P67 mobo because you could drop in an unlocked "K" series i5 sometime down the line for a great upgrade if you ever thought the i3 wasn't good enough.

The Phenom II isn't bad as I think recent reports say AM3 boards are Bulldozer compatible.

You might be best served saving up an extra $100 so your CPU is awesome instead of "good enough". Your call though.

nvd

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Nice. I like this forum as I feel more informed than before.

Yesterday, I packed up the new motherboard and installed the old one.

Far Cry is back to normal and I don't have to wait for 10 minutes at boot-up.

BTW any idea about the graphics performance and other support of Nvidia and ATI? Which GPU to persue if I intend to upgrade? As I had heard, ATI has drivers issues but better graphics quality than Nvidia.

Has this trend changed over time?

Yeah...all the trends keep changing. Basically, you can only count on something so long as the current generation is out.

Here's the rundown:

1) ATI was bought by AMD a couple years back and the "ATI" moniker was phased out and replaced with "AMD" in 2010.

2) GeForce (Nvidia) and Radeon (AMD) both put out comparable graphics. The prices really compare to performance for current generation products. Last generation products (like the Radeon 5870 for example or GTX 480) can typically be found for less money than similarly performing current generation counterparts. But the current generation usually offers better performance/power draw and, occasionally, new features.

3) GeForce has had robust 3D support (using a $200 NVidia 3D package + ~$350 monitor) since the 8000 series in roughly Dec. 2006. Radeon only picked up 3D support with the 6000 series in late 2010. Reviews say it works very well, but the support is less clear, more 3rd party.

4) Radeon has had triple display support on a single graphics card since the 5000 series (fall 2009). GeForce still requires multiple cards for simultaneous use of more than two independent displays.

5) Occasionally a new card shakes up the price points or a temporary deal makes something a better choice.

6) Right now, Radeon has conceded that the GeForce GTX 580 can outperform all of their top single GPU cards. But Radeon also isn't competing at that price point.

For me, right now, I'd go with a Radeon 5870 (old, great prices) or 6950 2GB (can be unlocked to 6970). A few months ago, I'd have told everyone to get a GTX 460 1GB. But it all depends on your CPU, screen resolution, opinion of 3D, power supply, & budget. The GTX 560 Ti is an amazing card right now, but my personal preferences would have me buying a 6950 2GB.