About $450 budget gaming build

rig3rous

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I checked the "budget" build stickies and those builds were about $1000!!

Anyways, I want to build a cheap build for about $450. I hear games can't utilize more than a dual core, is this true? I am cutting out on a lot of stuff, I don't need accessories such as monitor, mouse, etc. I also don't need an operating system or dvd drive. I live in the US and prefer to use newegg. The resolution I'll be playing is at 1280x768... that is what my resolution is at right now and it looks fine.

Thank you kindly!

Toms builds a $500 , $1000 and $2000 gaming computer every couple of months in a system builder marathon.

The most recent $500 build used a quad core Phenom 925 , which you could replace with a Phenom 840 that performs a little better
and save even more money by dropping the gfx card to a radeon 5770 or a GTX 460 768mb which is easily strong enough for your resolution

Those changes would be in your budget and a lot stronger in gaming than the intel build that costs so much you cant fit a stronger gfx card in the budget .

rig3rous

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

I'm impatient! I've always wanted a gaming computer and I've been saving for a while lmao

NotANerd

Distinguished
May 29, 2011

I totally understand. I'm in the same boat. The thing about waiting two more weeks and getting Llano is that you will be able to upgrade to the new Trinity apu easily (hopefully). Crossfire would be a cheap upgrade.

And you'll be cutting edge. :lol:
(that's what I tell my kids)