digital cameras w/stabilizer lens

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 5, 2005 10:52:26 PM

HI,

Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.

Appreciate your recommendations.

M.Agron
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:57:58 AM

"Miriam Agron" <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
> noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>
> Appreciate your recommendations.
>
> M.Agron

What about Nikon 8800 (although I think image stabilization is in the
camera, not the lens)?

MaryL
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 6:20:30 AM

Miriam Agron wrote:
> HI,
>
> Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
> noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>
> Appreciate your recommendations.
>
> M.Agron
Sure. Google for 'image stabilization' to find them.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
March 6, 2005 7:16:54 AM

Miriam Agron <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in news:miriamagron-
0B72AD.19522605032005@news.west.cox.net:

> HI,
>
> Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
> noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>
> Appreciate your recommendations.
>
> M.Agron

At 3MP, there's the Canon S1 IS, and the Panasonic FZ3.

At 4MP, you have the Panasonic FZ15 & smaller FZ4.

At 5MP, there is the new Sony H1, the Minolta Z5, and the smaller
version of the FZ20 - the new FZ5.

At 8MP, you have the Minolta A200 & A2, and the Nikon 8800.

Specs for all of these cameras can be found:

http://www.dpreview.com

--

Bill
March 6, 2005 7:16:55 AM

Doesn't the big Sony 8mp have it too?

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
> Miriam Agron <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in news:miriamagron-
> 0B72AD.19522605032005@news.west.cox.net:
>

>>HI,
>>
>>Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
>>noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>>
>>Appreciate your recommendations.
>>
>>M.Agron
>>

> At 3MP, there's the Canon S1 IS, and the Panasonic FZ3.
>
> At 4MP, you have the Panasonic FZ15 & smaller FZ4.
>
> At 5MP, there is the new Sony H1, the Minolta Z5, and the smaller
> version of the FZ20 - the new FZ5.
>
> At 8MP, you have the Minolta A200 & A2, and the Nikon 8800.
>
> Specs for all of these cameras can be found:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:30:02 AM

"Miriam Agron" <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
> noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>
> Appreciate your recommendations.

Technically, isn't it the sensor that has the stabilizer in that camera, and
not the lens? Same for all the P&S cams.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:30:03 AM

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Miriam Agron" <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in message
>> HI,
>>
>> Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
>> noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>>
>> Appreciate your recommendations.
>
> Technically, isn't it the sensor that has the stabilizer in that camera, and not the
> lens? Same for all the P&S cams.

In video cameras...yes.
With still cameras...usually no.

Most stabilized digital cameras use optical stabilisation within the lens.
The most motable exception to this is in Minolta's latest DSLR, which has a sensor-based
stabilizer.
Opinions differ as to the efectiveness of Minolta's different concept, but there is no
question that lens-based optical stabilizers are extremely useful for suppressing blur due
to camera shake/movement. None of the above will freeze subject motion any better than
non-stabilized lenses/cameras, but that's not the problem they are designed to address.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:30:03 AM

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "Miriam Agron" <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>HI,
>>
>>Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
>>noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
>>
>>Appreciate your recommendations.
>

> Technically, isn't it the sensor that has the stabilizer in that camera, and
> not the lens? Same for all the P&S cams.

Not usually. Moving only the sensor is a rather new thing. Most
stabilizers are in the lens system.
There are also a few cameras that use an electronic process, but I don't
recommend them as they lose resolution in the process.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:59:10 AM

In article <Xns9610ED0C52249WoodchuckBill@130.133.1.4>,
Woodchuck Bill <bwr607@hotmail.com> wrote:

> At 3MP, there's the Canon S1 IS, and the Panasonic FZ3.
>
> At 4MP, you have the Panasonic FZ15 & smaller FZ4.
>
> At 5MP, there is the new Sony H1, the Minolta Z5, and the smaller
> version of the FZ20 - the new FZ5.
>
> At 8MP, you have the Minolta A200 & A2, and the Nikon 8800.
>
> Specs for all of these cameras can be found:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com

Thanks to all for the information

M.Agron
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:19:48 AM

paul <paul@not.net> wrote in

> Doesn't the big Sony 8mp have it too?

No.

--

Bill
Anonymous

"MaryL" <carstan101@yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> writes:

> "Miriam Agron" <miriamagron@cox.net> wrote in message
> > HI,
> >
> > Outside of the highly touted Panasconic DMC-FZ20 are there any other
> > noteworthy cameras with a stabilizer lens attached.
> >
> > Appreciate your recommendations.
> >
> > M.Agron
>
> What about Nikon 8800 (although I think image stabilization is in the
> camera, not the lens)?

No, the Nikon uses Vibration Reduction, which is lens based. Only the
Konica-Minolta cameras do stabalization in the sensor.

In terms of the Nikon, IMHO, its major flaw is the relatively slow lens at full
zoom (f/4.8 if memory serves) which of course increases the need for some kind
of stabalization. Its a shame, since the camera has quite a few other nice
features.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> writes:

>Technically, isn't it the sensor that has the stabilizer in that camera, and
>not the lens? Same for all the P&S cams.

No. You're probably thinking of video cameras.

Consumer video cameras often have "electronic image stabilization".
This is done by having a larger CCD than is needed for the output video
format, giving the camera extra pixels that won't be used in the output
image. When EIS is turned on, the camera tries to figure out the
general direction of motion of the whole scene caused by camera shake,
and it shifts later images by an amount that mostly compensates for the
shake before the final cropping of the image to size. This means that
objects you are tracking are not wandering around the frame (as much).
But the shake also blurs each image, and this method leaves that within-
frame blur. This technique would be useless in a still camera, because
it's only going to capture a single image.

More expensive video cameras sometimes use optical image stabilization.
This senses the camera movement and produces a compensating movement of
a lens element or a variable-wedge prism in the lens. This keeps the
image substantially stationary *on the sensor*, making individual video
frames unblurred as well as reducing the longer-term motion in the
frame. Most still cameras that have "image stabilization" are talking
about this form of in-the-lens optical stabilization. It's mechanically
and electronically complex, so most video cameras do not have it, nor do
most still cameras.

Minolta has recently released a camera with image stabilization that
mechanically moves the sensor inside the camera to compensate for camera
shake. This has the same advantages in the image: reduced blur. But it
doesn't require specially-built lenses. On the negative side, the
amount of movement required to cancel shake at the image plane is a lot
more than cancelling it at a well-chosen point in the lens, so the
Minolta camera's ability to cancel shake must be limited for long
lenses.

Dave
March 7, 2005 1:11:55 AM

All Canon dSLRs can use stabilized lenses and there are a couple P&S models
with it built in too. Minolta's new dSLR has a partial stabilization system
built into the body.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto