Is my motherboard dead?

lordazura

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hi, my computer was running just fine today. But after getting upstairs to get a glass of water, I've found with horror that my computer wasn't displaying anything anymore.

When I power on my computer, I hear the usual "Beep". Then, every single fans are working, I can open the DvD tray and etc. However, any USB device connected in one of the USB port doesn't receive power/doesn't work.

Furthermore, even if the graphic cards appears to be properly functionning, nothing is shown on the screen. Only a black screen saying "No Signal".

It really feels like my motherboard is dead since I have no display and that my USB devices doesn't work anymore.

What do you think it could be? Is it the motherboard? anyway to fix this?

Thanks,

Francis.

You can remove the board battery with the power supply unplugged for about one minute, and reinstall. If that doesn't get you a post screen, then you'll have to troubleshoot. I'd start with the power supply. See if you can borrow one or purchase a less expensive model by antec, ocz, or corsair.

lordazura

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks for the answer, however, I am 100% sure that it is not the PSU as I connected it on a higher end computer and everything is working normally.

Is it possible that it is the motherboard or should I remove the possibility?

Yeah, the board could be bad. I would suggest an esd strap to prevent static discharge damage to internal components. Then you can continue handling components like the ram and cpu without worrying about damaging them. If the board has no physical damage, you may be able to request an rma and return it for warranty. It takes about 24 hours for a manufacturer to respond. I send them in by parcel post for around $12. It takes 2-3 weeks to get a replacement. Biostar was the fastest for me at around nine days.